Kid Build

ofdscooby

My good friend and long time hunting partner happens to own a landscape company and we worked out a materials for gun type trade. We are just finishing this kid build for the youth cow hunt up in Payson next week. This gun is just for his kids we put the LOP of the stock at 12.75 not too short and not too long and in the future we can add a grind to fit spacer for when they are older and full grown. With kids recoil is obviously an issue and I wanted them to feel comfortable I knew they could live through the recoil but if they are flinching it's affecting accuracy so here's what we did.

Short action Remington 700 trued up so everything is square. Bartline barrel at 22in. 23in. if you include the brake. Mc Millan Stock with a 12.75 LOP and a hinged floor plate for the bottom metal. The trigger is a Timney trigger at 3 lbs I'm a jewel trigger guy but the highest they will go is 2 lbs. I wanted a little more weight for the kids so we used the Timney. It is chambered in 7-08 and shoots the 140 grain Nosler Accubond at a blistering 2535fps. We topped it with a Leupold VX3 4x14 with their CDS system. On the scope I did not get one with a parallax adjustment just so we took one more variable out of it for the kids. At one full rotation of the dial it can hit the 600 yard steel at my range all day long.

Attachments

• 7-08.jpg
    7-08.jpg
    429.1 KB · Views: 168
Yes I have considered it for sure in the future.I'll try one of the Barnes in 120grain but I knew lead would be easier to work with for the time being. We're in California also so I will have to figure one out down the road.

What kind of stock is that?
It is a McMillan Hunter stock. I like that style stock, from the front of the action to the Butt Pad, better than any other stock in existence. I don't like the skinny forend on them. If McMillan would put a Remington Classic or BDL forend on that stock, it would be a perfect fit for my taste.

With that load, you will be limited to 425 yards or less on an animal. You should try the 150gr Accubond long range they should be ok out to 600.

Try Hornady superpreformance 140 sst load. We built one years ago for my buddy's boy. He calles it the no trackem rifle. Kids shot 200 plus pigs a year 2 plus deer a year. Gun has 26 " barrel average 3000.

The 140 will take elk with no problem.

......I'll try one of the Barnes in 120grain but I knew lead would be easier to work with for the time being....

Respectfully! Unsure what you mean by "work with", but the mono's have evolved a bit, and working up a load isn't difficult at all.

The Hammers specifically are extremely easy to find a working load. No dogma regarding seating, and uniformity to spare. Pick one suitable for the twist in your rifle, and they are guaranteed to work.

Her smile says it all! Great job on the build and the hunt. She will always remember this days.

Congratulations to you both!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.