kick-o-meter

You bought a TRG-42 with a Swarvorski? Wow! You'll enjoy it. Try to slow down and learn technique. Don't get carried away and treat it like one of your full autos. If you ever get to San Antonio, look me up and we'll head out to the range so I can shoot that brand new TRG
grin.gif

Jim

kick-o-meter report on new trg42 in 300 win mag.
took my new rifle with swarovski ph 6-24x50 out to range for break in for rifle and myself (a newbie). although enjoyable in the very nice 85 degree texas weather it was almost work to run so very many patches through the barrel in anticipation of when i could begin getting a rythme of shooting without long delays of cleaning.
i was at the bench for 5.5 hours, fired only 100 rounds of out of the box remington 180's and used between 10 to 15 patches per round fired for the first 30 rounds. then every 2 rounds for 20 rounds, then every 4 rounds for 20 rounds, and finally after each mag of 7 rounds.
began with laser sighter which really helped me get on the paper at just 110 yards, the extra ten yards was added so that i could get in the shade of a nearby tree.
the swarovski is about four months old and has been mounted on my 20" hbar upper that alternated sitting on my ar15 & m16 lower.
in my rush to get to the range i forgot my instructions on the scope, not that they are neccessary, but i haven't made any scope adjustments since the initial setting and their different from my first scope.
i had a hangover from last nights high school reunion party so my headache did not allow me to retain much of what i was doing so it took me just a little longer to get things down.
i'm very happy with this trg42 and the recoil with it's break is very manageable, the three way adjustable trigger is exremely nice and the pull was perfect.
by the time i began shooting 4 rounds in between cleanings the 12 round groupings where all within 1.5" and that continue throughout the firing.
i would think that when i finally learn to shoot this rifle that the groupings should improve.
the last 7 rounds was shot at 410 yards at a 12" x 36" steel cylinder which was very visible with the crystal clear swarovski lens
all hit the target but the recoil did not allow me to actually see the hit but i heard each one. if there had been a face on the cylinder i would be able to see even the eyes at 410 yards nice scope.
i hope that some of this may be helpful to the other members because this board has been very helpful to me.
p.s. (jim) 338 lupua, i just read that your 338 is a trg42, how do you like yours?

If I ever said my Sako was a TRG-42, I apologize, I was mistaken. Mine is Sako TRG-S. My brother and I bought consecutively serial numbers in this rifle. I have shot a TRG-42 in Win Mag at one of the Texas Varmint Shootout's I used to run a few years ago. Very nice rifles. You should get better groups once you get settled into the rifle.

Jim

338 lupua,
jim, no it was my assumption that yours was a trg-42, i'm unfarmiliar with sako and most longrange rifles. my interests have been in assault, although at one time i've had a couple od hk sr9tc & one psg-1 sniper rifles.
my 1.5" groups where shot off the tailgate of a toyota pickup truck and the other off of a wooden lean to bench that i had to put branches under two of it's legs to stabalize it.
i'm on vacation this week and may travel west of fort worth to shoot at the 1500 yard range.

i bought my ultra mag about 9 months ago to go elk hunting. it's definately not for TN whitetail but will more than get the job done in colorado. it's punishing with the stock recoil pad on it but i've since then got the limbsaver and that helped a whole lot.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.