KG Cleaning system

Oliveralan

Hey,

I just recieved my bottles of cleaning solvent from KG. I bought KG-1, KG-12, and KG-4. After reading the instructions say to use KG-3 to remove the residual carbon/copper left behind. Can I not use the solvent until I get KG-3? Will it harm my bore if I just patch it dry then use KG-4?

I've used KG-1 and KG-12 extensively. Never owned or used any of their other products.

KG1 is great for carbon fouling. KG12 is very effective on copper. If you want to remove the KG1 or KG12 residue, you can run a patch soaked in fingernail polish remover down the bore. If you want to lay some oil in the bore after cleaning is complete (recommended), run a swab down the bore with any decent gun bore oil. Break Free, Rem-Oil, Triflow. Just about any kind of light oil will coat the cleaned bore and help prevent corrosion.

I start with a wetted KG-1 patch until the majority of powder and carbon fouling is removed. Then swap straight to KG-12 wetted patches. KG-12 doesn't indicate blue staining during copper removal like many other copper removing solutions. It goes from yellow to a darker yellowish orange, which makes it more difficult to determine when all copper has been removed. But it's a very effective copper removing solution. I still use it to an extent, but I've sorta switched to Bore Tech Eliminator and Bore Tech's Copper removal products. They seem to be just as effective, but they stain blue until all copper is removed, which makes it easier to tell when all copper has been removed.

KG-12 isn't supposed to be corrosive to the bore, but if you want to remove it any KG-12 residue, swab the bore with a fingernail polish remover-wetted patch or two. The fingernail polish remover will evaporate. Then you can lightly oil the bore for storage. Swab bore with a dry patch prior to firing to remove any excess oil.

You should never need to use a nylon or brass brush on your bore if you follow these methods for cleaning.

I don't even know what the other KG products are for, but I know you don't need them for carbon and copper removal. KG-1 is their most potent carbon removing product. And KG-12 is their most potent copper removing product.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that up. So just to confirm, you do not use anything after a treatment of KG-1 and KG-12 to remove anything they leave (I don't know just asking before I put it in a $500 barrel) behind? I bought the KG-4 simply because I'm out of any other oil and it was on the same page I bought the other two on midwayusa.

I would run a fingernail polish remover-soaked patch down the bore to remove the majority of any residual KG-12. Then a light swabbing with a light grade of bore oil for corrosion protection and lubrication for the first shot to be fired following the bore cleaning.

A lot of guys like to fire post-cleaning with a lightly oiled bore rather than a completely bone dry bore in order to reduce the wear & tear (scorching) of the bullet over the dry bore.

I was actually using Gun Juice bore treatment for my first fowling shots, as I used the KG cleaning products during Gun Juice treatment of 6 or 7 rifle barrels and a couple revolver barrels. If I hadn't been applying Gun Juice, I'd have gone the route described above -> fingernail polish remover-soaked patch followed by gun-oiled patch.

Last edited:
KG12 will take the place of 3. I believe it is just a stronger solvent. It is all good stuff. And you can mix and match without any problems. What you read was a recommendation "For best results".

Oliveralan,

I stated Rubbing Alcohol in my prior posts. I've used it before, but I actually now use fingernail polisher remover now, as a stronger residue remover. Either the acetone containing product or the toluene containing product. Fingernail polish remover cleans oily residue better than Rubbing Alcohol, itt evaporates faster than rubbing alcohol, strips the bore pretty clean and after evaporation the bore is dry as a bone. But the fingernail polish remover fumes are more toxic than Rubbing Alcohol, so allow for some air circulation. After stripping the bore clean of any residue with the fingernail polish remover, then place a light weight gun oil down the bore for corrosion protection, as the fingernail polish remover will strip all oils out of the bore.

Fingernail polish remover is still pretty cheap. Not quite as cheap as Rubbing Alcohol.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.