KG-12 / KG SF-112 - copper solvents

Hand Skills

Hi everyone,

For years I have been working toward economizing my cleaning practices. I struggle a lot less with copper fouling after discovering ~1200grit abrasives, but after polishing a bore i'm hesitant to use it again, especially with any regularity.

In the quest to better my cleaning kit I came across some interesting data; http://www.coretacsolutions.com/pdf/KG12-Test.pdf

KG Industries aka KG Systems - KGCoatings.com

I have long been a fan of CLP, and I am eager to try a water based, 'Eco friendly' bore solvent.

Just wondering if anyone has experience with these products?

I like the BoreTech Eliminator for copper removal. I bought some of the BoreTech Cu2+ and I don't think it works too much better than Eliminator.

I use Butches Bore Shine to remove the powder fouling then attack the carbon with BoreTech Carbon Remover.

Bore Tech eliminator and KG 12 both are good products. eliminator turns blueish green making it easier to tell when your done

Thanks for the feedback. It's hard to ignore all the Bortech users - I will certainly keep an eye out for it up here in Canada. It does not appear to be widely available, hopefully that will change - until then it sounds like the KG will be an upgrade from hoppes and wipe-out.

I use KG12 and to me it works a lot better than any of the ammonia based copper removers like the boretech, barnes, or shooters choice. It doesn't turn blue like them though so it's harder to see results on the patch, but it definitely removes copper quicker than them in my experience.

I use wipe out for most of my copper cleaning just because it's easier, but if I need to scrub it out quick I use KG12.

I have been using yamaha ring free to cut carbon. 1 or 2 soaked patches and it's gone. If I'm at the range I will squirt some wipe out in for the ride home. I've also used the outers foaming bore cleaner with excellent results.
I have been using CR10 for copper when it's time I'm switching to the KG12.

I have been using yamaha ring free to cut carbon. 1 or 2 soaked patches and it's gone. If I'm at the range I will squirt some wipe out in for the ride home. I've also used the outers foaming bore cleaner with excellent results.
I have been using CR10 for copper when it's time I'm switching to the KG12.

Could you please tell us more about this yamaha cleaner. As far as a cleaner, Boretech eliminator is a great product . It isn't ammonia based so not dangerous to be left in the barrel and works great.

Could you please tell us more about this yamaha cleaner. As far as a cleaner, Boretech eliminator is a great product . It isn't ammonia based so not dangerous to be left in the barrel and works great.
Yamaha ring free is made for 2 stroke outboard engines. It is a decarbonizer to keep the O2 sensors free of carbon. This is about $40 a quart. I had 2 qts left over after I changed engines on my boat. I had read the benchrest guys were using quickkleen to cut carbon. This is a mercury product for the same purpose. I had used it to clean intake/exhaust valves from a race engine so I figured it would work on guns and I was blown away by how fast it worked

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.