KEY HOLE PROBLEM

I have a browning Xbolt long range max in 6.5 PRC 7" twist 26" heavy sporter with a random key hole problem (see attached ) shooting 147 gr ELD match, H1000 or H4831SC moderate loads. action is torqued per mfg specs scope as well. bedded and full floated, I am shooting off a Sinclair F class bipod and rear bag. when I say random it may be 3,4, 5th shot, not over heated. I am very carefull with reloading, ES 12, SD 4.3, seat depth .050, neck tension seems fine. I am lost, never had this problem with any other guns, first plastic stock I ever had, I am thinking stock, bipod problem? HELP!! hop JE responds to this. Thanks for any ideas. Jim
It may have been said previously but you sir have the blow apart eldm problems. Let me guess, it don't do the blow up thing until your barrel is warm to a little above warm?

I've got a custom 6.5prc with a 26" 1-7" Krieger 4 groove LT Palma barrel that shoots them one hole but after it gets some bullets down the barrel and the barrel is warm to slightly above warm and I get what you have in your picture at a mild 3000-3015fps depending on which powder primer combo I use. I've sense then moved to berger and lathe turned coppers. Too many ripp ems on the bullets I suppose, do a search on a search engine of your choice and there are a lot of ppl having problems......I think even some with creeds and such. Some say the amount of grooves in the barrel have something to do with it.

Last edited:
Just as a test to see if it helps. Use all copper .?
All copper would depend on the manufacturer. Barnes 127gr LRX requires 1/8t or faster, cutting edge i think requires 1/7t or faster. The 150 SMK requires 7.5t as to where the 156 berger eol requires 1/8t or faster. I think the more bearing surface on the bullet needs more twist maybe?

All copper would depend on the manufacturer. Barnes 127gr LRX requires 1/8t or faster, cutting edge i think requires 1/7t or faster. The 150 SMK requires 7.5t as to where the 156 berger eol requires 1/8t or faster. I think the more bearing surface on the bullet needs more twist maybe?
Copper bullets are longer is why they need more twist. You can't compare cup core bullets to copper bullets for what grain they are to the twist they require, a 125g copper requires more twist vs a 125 cup core. Heavy cup core bullets need the faster twist bc the bullets are getting longer and weight is also a factor with them. Copper is less in grains vs lead.

I've been loading 180 grain Woodleighs in my 270, and, it's like shooting a stubby pencil...lots of bearing surface and friction too.? I won't buy more after they are gone. I think I will try some Nosler 165s though. Especially if they have some blemished ones for cheap.

It may have been said previously but you sir have the blow apart eldm problems. Let me guess, it don't do the blow up thing until your barrel is warm to a little above warm?

I've got a custom 6.5prc with a 26" 1-7" Krieger 4 groove LT Palma barrel that shoots them one hole but after it gets some bullets down the barrel and the barrel is warm to slightly above warm and I get what you have in your picture at a mild 3000-3015fps depending on which powder primer combo I use. I've sense then moved to berger and lathe turned coppers. Too many ripp ems on the bullets I suppose, do a search on a search engine of your choice and there are a lot of ppl having problems......I think even some with creeds and such. Some say the amount of grooves in the barrel have something to do with it.
you are right has to be warm or above

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.