KEY HOLE PROBLEM

I have a browning Xbolt long range max in 6.5 PRC 7" twist 26" heavy sporter with a random key hole problem (see attached ) shooting 147 gr ELD match, H1000 or H4831SC moderate loads. action is torqued per mfg specs scope as well. bedded and full floated, I am shooting off a Sinclair F class bipod and rear bag. when I say random it may be 3,4, 5th shot, not over heated. I am very carefull with reloading, ES 12, SD 4.3, seat depth .050, neck tension seems fine. I am lost, never had this problem with any other guns, first plastic stock I ever had, I am thinking stock, bipod problem? HELP!! hop JE responds to this. Thanks for any ideas. Jim
You definitely are experiencing a stabilizing problem. Try 143 gr. or 140

I have a browning Xbolt long range max in 6.5 PRC 7" twist 26" heavy sporter with a random key hole problem (see attached ) shooting 147 gr ELD match, H1000 or H4831SC moderate loads. action is torqued per mfg specs scope as well. bedded and full floated, I am shooting off a Sinclair F class bipod and rear bag. when I say random it may be 3,4, 5th shot, not over heated. I am very carefull with reloading, ES 12, SD 4.3, seat depth .050, neck tension seems fine. I am lost, never had this problem with any other guns, first plastic stock I ever had, I am thinking stock, bipod problem? HELP!! hop JE responds to this. Thanks for any ideas. Jim
Sounds like you might try lighter bullets.

Had a killer load in my 28 with 180 ELD-M @3200 fps, nearly every time I'd fire a 3 shot group, shot #3 would mysteriously vaporize on it's way down range. Switched over to Berger 180 Hybrids, no problems since then!

A lot of people on the 3 6.5 PRC Facebook groups I'm on have reported problems with the 147 in certain rifling configurations and usually with a1:7 twist. The bullets jackets are giving way at the high twist rate. I want to say it's the 4 groove barrels doing it the worst. So it's likely not a stability issue but a mechanical issue with the bullet jacket splitting apart. At least that's been reported a lot with the 147 ELDM. If you tried a longer distance you might notice the bullet coming completely apart.

That is jacket separation. Here is keyholeing.
hpJCpQR.jpg

53gr TSX 223 out of a 1 in 14 barrel at 30ft.
Is that a subsonic load? (That's where I saw it from my .223.) Had to go to a 1:7 twist and fixed it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.