Kevin from OH (orig KS)

KsKevin

Hello,

I've been a long time lurker on LRH but just finally signed-up (spent more time on Snipers Hide as I've been a member there for ~10yrs). I'm primarily a hunter but like to do some longer range shooting for fun (done a very small amount of competitions). Lots of hobbies and have strayed away from being 'deep in the rabbit hole of LR shooting' for a few years but getting re-engaged deeply once again.

I deer hunt every year back in western KS (both muley and whitetail) where I grew up and now starting to plan other big game hunts with my cousin (trying to put together an elk hunt for Fall'21).

I currently have two rifles: 1) Savage 223Rem that I just enjoy reloading for accuracy and shooting out to 600yds and, 2) 280AI built by GAPrecision which is my hunting rig and also shoot LR for fun. I reload for both as I enjoy the load development work and precision of it all (being an engineer I get all geeked out on the science/math/precison).

Hoping to learn from this forum about western big game hunting, equipment reviews, and oad development. Hope I can contribute via my hunting experience (over 40yrs) and loading/shooting as well.

Kevin

Kevin,
I'm looking at getting a 280ai for basic Midwest stuff. Anything you don't like about your GAP 280ai?

and welcome!

I love the 280AI. Very versatile cartridge that packs a punch but manageable recoil. GAP does great work and I do all my own load development so rifle is very accurate. I've only deer hunted in western KS but wanting to start chasing some other species out west which leads to the one thing I dont like which is the weight. Rifle without scope,bipod, sling is 8# 11oz. Add scope/rings/bipod/sling and I'm at 12# 10oz. If I were doing it all over again would make a few more design choices to get weight down as it a few ounces here, a few there so making all those changes at this point I'd just be better off building a new rig. If/when I do another one, GAP would be on my short list of places I'd call.

I could go on and on with other perspective but will stop now. If you want to talk just PM me and I'd be happy to take a phone call sometime.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.