Kestrel 5700 for hunting.

rankin76

I was wondering how many of you use a kestrel 5700 for hunting? Is it a must?

I used to own the Elite model when I was competitively shooting in the long range game, but since I stepped away from that several years ago it got sold. Now I'm thinking it would be nice to have one for dope while hunting. The last several years I've just been using a dope card that I put together from the shooter app. It's works ok.

I'm just wondering if any of you use the 5700 for just hunting. I don't plan on taking any crazy long shots. 600 yards and under is ideal for me.

Thoughts

Thanks
Bob

The 5700 models seem to be gone from the kestrelinstruments.com site?? I can't find any model beyond a 5400
Or am I missing something

Last edited:

They're there...
I recently sent a 2700 back to NK for warranty service. Awaiting the return of a new new one. The one I sent back was consistently .5-.75 moa off in its solutions for whatever reason. I admittedly did not/do not use it for hunting....just target work. I don't have a shot beyond 250 yards where I hunt.

Last edited:
I use a 5700. It's served me well and been accurate out to 910 yds on target. I live in Florida and traveled out to Montana and recalibrated it per instruction before firing a shot at the range on my hunt and made first round hits on steel out to 675 yds. It's as accurate as the information you give it. Pay special attention to whether your scope tracks in true MOA or 1/4" at 100 yds…. If it tracks in 1/4" clicks you're gonna want to use the SMOA setting in your gun ballistic profile. I like it but would prefer a high end optic with ballistics.

I use one too. But I wouldn't say it's a requirement. I have made "crazy long shots" kills however. Imagine my surprise when I joined this forum and no one was shooting game over 600y. Lol

As long as your dope is solid, you're operating in your comfort range distance wise and you're able to access that dope in the environments you are in then that's all that matters. I think the kestrel makes it easier, but with my more used rifles I memorized most of the drop data and I can do wind in my head for any gun.

I was wondering how many of you use a kestrel 5700 for hunting? Is it a must?

I used to own the Elite model when I was competitively shooting in the long range game, but since I stepped away from that several years ago it got sold. Now I'm thinking it would be nice to have one for dope while hunting. The last several years I've just been using a dope card that I put together from the shooter app. It's works ok.

I'm just wondering if any of you use the 5700 for just hunting. I don't plan on taking any crazy long shots. 600 yards and under is ideal for me.

Thoughts

Thanks
Bob
yes a must have up here for long range hunting we can be hunting deer one day at sea level on the beaches and the next day hunting the high peaks for goats or move up north for boos and moose for long range best money spent, mine links to my range finder also

I have never owned a Kestrel but I do own a few hand held anemometers, which are of limited use. Frankly, I can't see spending the money on a Kestrel when there are tons of iPhone apps that work well. Sure, they don't "know" the barometric pressure, but you iPhone compass does show your altitude- just input it instead of baro pressure. Kind of slow, but works. For hunting, I prefer either my Sig ABS2400 or my BR7. The advantage of the 2400 is that it incorporates spin drift and aerodynamic jump and fits in a shirt pocket; the advantage of the BR7 is that the wind toggles are pretty handy and fast. Any time you spend figuring out your ballistic solution is time you can spend doping the wind.

I have a kestrel and all my data lines up with my Shooter app my Kestrel and my G7BR2 .the G7 br2 is what I use for hunting

I think it's necessary with elevation changes, if ur hunting the same elevation, you can make drop cards for temp changes pretty easy
Take it from a guy who shoots year round at high and low elevations: you absolutely will hit higher at higher elevations. Temperature is almost a non-issue - I am in CO now - my holds at 910 are not different from January, but it is a heck of a lot warmer. At 715 yards, my elevation change is 1 MOA less +/- at 8750 than at 2800.

Take it from a guy who shoots year round at high and low elevations: you absolutely will hit higher at higher elevations. Temperature is almost a non-issue - I am in CO now - my holds at 910 are not different from January, but it is a heck of a lot warmer. At 715 yards, my elevation change is 1 MOA less +/- at 8750 than at 2800.
That's just crazy talk
I use density altitude, a derivative of temp, altitude, baro, and humidity, from my kestrel, at my house I've hunted/shot from -1500density altitude to 4500 density altitude, type those in a ballistic calculator and you'll see 2-3moa difference at 1k.
Temp and altitude are the two biggest factors by far, but not accounting for both, you simply aren't seeing enough of a differential in temps where u live

That's just crazy talk
I use density altitude, a derivative of temp, altitude, baro, and humidity, from my kestrel, at my house I've hunted/shot from -1500density altitude to 4500 density altitude, type those in a ballistic calculator and you'll see 2-3moa difference at 1k.
Temp and altitude are the two biggest factors by far, but not accounting for both, you simply aren't seeing enough of a differential in temps where u live
Well, I just went to JBM and calculated the difference at 1000 yards using a 300 Berger at 2830 - going from 2750 to 8750 results in 1.8 MOA less elevation. At 715, the difference is .8 MOA less.

If we keep elevation the same but go from 50 deg to 100 degrees, the figures are:
715: .3 MOA less
1000: .6 MOA less

My experience matches JBM - elevation is far more important than temperature. But the SIG 2400ABS and BR7 account for both, assuming you don't leave them out in the sun to overheat - I have seen that cause weird results at 1400 in AZ.

I assume you are using something with a lower BC than a 300 Berger; environmental changes change the BC, and the farther you are out on the BC curve, the less you are affected by changes in elevation and temp.