Kennetrek vs meindl vs crispi

meatyrem

Looking for information on these three. How do they compare to each other and what are pros and cons. The crispi and meindl are very much similar. Are these made by the same company just under a different. Name or are they two different products? All are about the same price is there one that sticks out above the rest?

Just answered that on another thread.

Anyway, I have 'Trecks and Meindl's. I like both. I like the Meindl uppers better than the 'trecks but the 'treck soles have a better grip when sidehilling.

I think the Meindl's provide better ankle support and both are equally warm with their 'thinsulate' linings.

I use 'treck footbeds exclusively. The Meindl footbeds aren't as good as the Kennetreck footbeds IMO. However, I change mine out every year.

One thing about the Meindl's that I found disconcerting is, they come in greenish tone new but as soon as you apply boot conditioner (I use the Kennetrek brand), they turn dark brown.... no biggie but odd.

It's a personal toss up actually. I got the Meindl's first because I like to try on a high end boot to make sure it fits right and I could do that with the Meindl's (at Cabelas). I had to mail order the trecks but they (luckily) came in the right size and width. Not a fan of shoes/boots by mail actually.

I think they are both good boots. My big issue with any boot is I don't want to 'break in' a boot at the expensive of my feet prior to a hunt. neither the trecks or the Meindl's need to be 'broken in'.

Don't know anything about the 'Crispi Critters'....lol

Thanks for the response. After more looking I found some bad reviews about the crispi boots. I was not sure about them anyway. I am kind of set on either meindl or treks. I also have heard great thinks about the schnees brand of mountain boots. Is there any experience some have had with these too? Just looking for the good and the bad with any of them. I know the meindl are not easy to find but there are some companies who stick these.

What ever you heard about Crispi is not true unless it involved the former owner of Crispi USA who is not around anymore.
The current owner is Blackovis and Crispi is back in full swing.
Now that warranty issues will be covered (If there ever is any) Its nice to know Blackovis is there to cover it with the Italians.
I have worn Crispi for 5 years and they are by far and away the BEST boot on the planet.
Why? You take a pair of Crispi's out of the box, put on your 75lb back pack and take off on a sheep hunt without ever getting a hot spot on your foot. Game over.
Try that with Kennetrek or Meindl and you will regret the day you purchased them.
There truly is nothing lighter per style or more comfortable and durable then the original Italian mountain boot.
Get the best and you will Never look back. Get a pair of Crispi's.:)
If you want more info on them, PM me.

+1 on the Crispi's. I've been using mine for about the last 4 years with excellent results (hunting Utah). There is very little noticeable wear, and very little, if any break-in required. If these wear out I will definitely have another pair.

Last edited:
I have Crispi's, Meindls and Salomon 4D GTX. I like everything about the Meindls except the sole seems narrow for my foot which gives me a somewhat 'unstable' feeling. Like the Crispi's fine as well, but my go to boot has been the Salomon. It fit great right from the box and has a wider fore foot area and more lateral stability for me. Best suggestion is to try on several pair and see which feels best. Don't think you can go wrong with any of the top name boots.

I'm on my second pair of Meindls here in Alaska and I love them. They are the right fit for my oddly shaped large foot. A 12 is too small and a true 13 too big, but the meindl's seem to be a touch smaller than my danner 13's, so they are perfect. Bought the new pair last year and broke them in caribou hunting, no problems. A month later high country bear hunting, again no problems. I recommend them highly.

I have the meindl ultralight bought a pair for hunting . Fit so perfect and so comfortable I used them for work all winter long. And bought another pair when they went on sale at cabalas just for hunting. I have burned through some boots being a school bus mechanic over the years. But the meindl will be worn for the second winter this year

I run the Kenetrek Hardscrable and have been pleased with them. I was almost to the point of giving up on them till I hit probably the 40 mile mark. Since then they have been amazing. These are the first high dollar boots that I have owned and I wouldn't second guess my decision. I would also have to agree with the comment made about changing insoles regularly. For me this has made a huge difference in all my hunting and hiking boots.

I've used both Meindl and Kenetreks. The me industry were from cabelas. They were good. But it took awhile to break in. After I wore them out, I was able to try on Kenetreks and bought them. I love them. No hot spots. Not much of a break in.

I would highly encourage you to try on before buying.

Love the Kennetrek, however I found the support insole that comes with them was like standing on a steel bar, I replaced it with comfort insole and I can honestly say they are the best boot I've ever had.

I've used both Meindl and Kenetreks. The me industry were from cabelas. They were good. But it took awhile to break in. After I wore them out, I was able to try on Kenetreks and bought them. I love them. No hot spots. Not much of a break in.

I would highly encourage you to try on before buying.

Absolutely. Boots are a personal fit thing.

Love the Kennetrek, however I found the support insole that comes with them was like standing on a steel bar, I replaced it with comfort insole and I can honestly say they are the best boot I've ever had.

Because they are designed to provide support while sidehilling on rock. For flat land trekking, remove and replace the inner footbed,

No one boot is ideal, which is why I own multiple pairs. Like rifles, no one rifle (or boot) is completely ideal'

My comment on the post about 'breaking Meindl's in... I never experienced any break in at all, but I made dam sure they fit properly prior to purchase.... I actually tried om 5 pair. No break in issues at all. In fact, of all my boots, the Meindl's are the most comfortable. Hint: I change my footbeds in all my boots every year.

Like I've said before.... Your mileage will vary because footwear is a personal choice and no two people will fit the same or achieve the same comfort level.

Meindl and Kennetrek are comparable quality (awesome) I had both and prefer the meindl. No sweat for me since they're cheaper anyways.

I have had one pair for 6 years and they keep going.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.