Kennetrek, Schnees, Crispi boots

I have two pairs of Crispis that fit and walk extremely well. Picked up a pair of used but brand new Kennetreks that fit like crap. Had a hump in front of my right heel. A boot smith said it was glue or untrimmed leather and advised there was nothing he could do without taking the one apart. I took a piece of 2x2 wood and round off the end and then beat the crap out of the hump with a hammer. It flattened out. I then tried out several brands of high end insoles and found a pair of Keens that made the fit perfect. However, the heels seemed too high. Went to an orthotics place that does custom insoles. They said based on my arch, foot, etc., the heels were too high. The lady said its like you're walking in high heels. So I put the soles and heels in particular on my belt sander and took off 3/16" off the heel and leveled with the front. I then used my Dremel tool to carve the tread deeper for more depth. Now they fit and walk like my Crispis. If any Kennetrek rep's are reading this, yer quality control sucks...

Been running Danner Rainforest for work and hunting the last several years and love them. Just recently tried Kennetreks for hunting and they are great. Love the support and fit from both boots but recently came up with a case of planter facetious. My feet run hot with these boots which never bothered me until recently with the PF. I'm now giving the Crispi Thor II GTX a try with Cadence inserts. These boots are much lighter and should breath better. Just started wearing them around the house, so far so good.

I was not able to find a pair to try on. They look great to me too.

I did get my new pair from Kennetrek at no charge. Good on them! So my boot quest is over for now.
Steve,
How did the replacement Kenetreks compare to your prior set of boots, regarding water resistance?
My son and I both wore Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400gr insulated boots this month on a rainy caribou hunt. We had both treated our boots with the Kenetrek boot treatment. Both boots became waterlogged. The vegetation was quite wet from steady rain and drizzle. But I was still surprised at how quickly the boots took on water, after having just been cleaned and treated with the company brand of boot treatment wax prior to this hunt. Once the water soaks in, it takes a long time for them to dry.

Makes me wonder if any leather goretex boot can repel water and keep feet and socks dry while walking through soaking wet vegetation for hours at a time?

I also have a question.

Why do all these boots seem to have smaller soles than footbeds?

I want a boot that widens all the way to the bottom, widest point at the very bottom, bigger footprint, less sinking in mud and snow, wider is stable, narrower facilitates the "roll your ankle" motion.

Do they do it simply because it is easier to pull your foot out of mud if the sole is narrower? To reduce weight?

I don't care for it, is there a solution?

I got a pair of crispi nevada gtx 200 gr. For an up coming 2nd rifle season. Colorado hunt, they came with a almost broke in feel, I at first wanted a little more insulation but I needed a wide size. I figure I can control the temp with layer of liners and different weight wool socks.

If it gets too cold for the crispi's I'm taking a pair of Sorel pack boots also.

I have 6 pairs of Kennetreks and IMO they are by far the best boots out there.
I'm a lineman and I'm in boots all day every day and you can't beat them for on the job and in the mountains