Kennetrek, Schnees, Crispi boots

I had a pair of Kenetrek's and really liked them. They were toast after 2 years but I had many hundreds of hiking and hunting miles on them. I'm back wearing Asolo mountaineering boots as I have for the last 30 some years. On the ranch I wear Whites. Great support but heavier.

I really agree with Toolhand on the fit issue. But I think there is much more to comfortable shoes than just length and width.
For instance , White's feel perfect on my feet and Danner's cripple me so bad I can't walk a mile in them. The last pair of Danner's I had I tried everything and they just no way no how were going to work for me. Keen's with my orthotics in them are all day comfortable. But, they aren't nearly tough enough for lots of things.
My favorite boots are Viberg made in Victoria B C . Toughest leather boots on the planet . Comfortable for me ! Just a great shoe.
I've never tried Kenetrex , but from what I've read they are an awesome boot.
I've never relied on a Gor Tex or other membrane to keep my feet dry in leather boots . Quality boots and lots of Huberd's, Obanof's, White's or back in the day, Logger's Wear boot oil. Dry the boots correctly and paint it on with a small paint brush. The past several years I've been using triple rendered bear fat. Works even better.

"A lb. on you foot equals 5 lbs. on your back." It is an old saying, and I believe it. I hike with Merrel boots. Lightweight, breathable, waterproof, and the softer treads are quieter. They don't last like a vibram sole, but I'm o.k. with that. I use a light weight gaiter with it if the weather is bad, or the foxtails are bad.

OP, if you haven't made your purchase yet, I would recommend you check out Zamberlan boots in addition to the others on your list.

Many years ago I became disillusioned with a couple of "name brand" boot makers that sold on their name and perceived quality but had moved production to Asia. The problem was that the quality just was not there anymore and the boots didn't hold up or just had inferior workmanship.

I ended up looking at some Zamberlan, Scarpa and Lowa boots. The all make great quality boots but, for me, the Lowa boots were too roomy, the Scarpa boots were too tight and the Zamberlan boots were… just right.

I bought them during the summer and immediately took them on a quick 5 mile hike the day I got them. I use a liner and a sock and I did not have a single hot spot or any pinching so no break in was needed for me. I was able to use them on a backpacking hike soon after with no issues.

How a particular boot fits a foot is unique to each individual. Fit wise for me, these boots have an excellent heel cup with zero movement, a roomy enough toe box so there's no cramping and good arch support and ankle support. The construction and materials used is top notch.

I've used my Zamberlans for hunting, hiking, backpacking and summiting various 14ers across Colorado. I've never had an issue and the waterproofing works in snow and mountain stream crossings. The terrain I've traversed has been steep and rugged in many places and I feel very confident with these boots. The soles are aggressive and "grippy" on rugged terrain.

I especially like the amount of ankle support they give me whether it's on steep ascents or descents, across scree fields or wet boulder fields, or just good 'ole slippery mud. If I need to edge the boot to maintain grip and position, that support is tremendously helpful in stabilizing me and my backpack load. With an additional 60 to 80 pounds of quartered elk meat on the back, that support becomes invaluable.

Overall, the fine Italian craftsmanship is evident from day one to even after many years of rugged use. They still look good, perform great and can be resoled whenever needed. I recommend these boots without reservation to anyone who asks.

Want to hear from you guys that are hard charging, Rocky Mountain hunters that have experience with these boots. Feel free to add to the list.
I've been hunting in Danners for years and years. I currently have four styles of hunting/hiking boots and three pair of work boots. My hunters range from uninsulated hikers to mid weight pacs. The pacs are the only ones I've had to do any break-in on and it was probably more a matter of me getting used to wearing the heavier, stiffer boot.
I work in construction and have to wear safety toe, electrically rated boots on most projects.
The quality has slipped some since the shift in production to China but, as far as my work boots go, they still seem to work best and last longer than most of the other brands.
All of my hunters are older boots. I have light hikers and pacs that are over 20 years old.
The Danners have worked for me. All of our feet are different though.
Good Luck!!!

Bought Kennetrek Hardscrabble Hikers last year and put a bunch of mountain miles on them. Good supportive boot, definitely took 30+ miles to break in.

One thing I didn't like - the sole is sort of rounded in the arch area rather than flat. That, combined with a bit of a "high" build, and I often felt like the boots were rolling-outward on me, and sent me for a couple of tumbles that shouldn't have happened.

Has anyone else noticed this??

I'd recommend looking at Scarpa. I had there Kinesis pro gtx and they lasted me about 3 years of nearly everyday wear. Super comfortable boots with a good amount of support. I've since replaced them with another, lighter pair of Scarpa boots and I think they will last just as long. As others have mentioned Scarpa boots run narrower on some models, so they may not fit everyone (fit me great), but they quality is top notch IME.

I've tried Kenetrek and they just didn't fit my feet, but the quality was definitely there. Everyone's foot is different, obviously the best thing to do is try them on and walk around with some weight. I bring my pack loaded with 50 lbs to the store, you'll get some looks but when your dropping that kind of money it's worth it.

I have kennetreks. Not sure of the model but they are the uninsulated hikers. Biggest con is they are hot. All leather construction and not much breathability. I also only where them when i am backpacking or planning on hauling a heavy load. They are a great boot but not meant to be an everyday hiker.

Want to hear from you guys that are hard charging, Rocky Mountain hunters that have experience with these boots. Feel free to add to the list.

Just got a pair of Crispi Colorados and love them! The are light weight but still stiff soled and good ankle support. Will be putting them to the test in September

Schnee's makes a great hunting boot, I have 3 pairs of the leather boots. 2 mid calf insulated, and one low top un-insulated leather hiker. I do prefer the schnees ergonomics in regards to mountain hunting over my kenetrek mountain extreme. The schnees has a more weight over the toes stance than my kenetreks. My personal preference. I have had zero trouble with either boot as far as leaking goes. I do treat them every year, and this seems to help. Either brand will do the job, I guess you need to try a pair of the schnees and see if that set up is what you like or not.

Made the trip to Bozeman to visit the Schnees blow out sale. Couldn't find a boot for me but got a pair for my wife and daughter. Not sure how that worked. I did pop into the Kenetrek shop to visit with them. I explained my issues and that I simply can not find a boot as good as theirs but need to have boots that my feet don't get wet in. They assured me that I had simply been unlucky. They are sending me a new pair of mountain extremes uninsulated. I really hope to just wear this pair out.

Have a pair of Kennetrek Mtn Extreme's and used them for 5 years. Very comfortable if they fit you well. Held up in the waterproofing dept but terrible heel slip along with blisters. Jammed toes as well. Trying Lowa Tibet GTX Hi's this year. Very comfortable Lowa has a bad reputation for leaking though. Doesn't rain alot but we do get plenty of snow up high in the later season.

Just put on a pair of Lowa Comino's that have been unworn for a couple months. Fit and comfort is superb. I went a 1/2 size up as one foot is a smidge between sizes. They come in regular and wide. Make sure you get the right width. The on-line supplier tried to slip a pair of wide's to me. Customer service person said it happens more than you'd think. I'll probably wear these in all situations that aren't sub-freezing.