Kenetrek's leak?

I've ran kenetrek boots for probably 10 years. I've had probably 4 pair in that time. I sent 2 sets back to get fixed up after a few seasons of hunting. I just got a new pair last week. My old pair were 4 years old and completely trashed. They didn't leak till the 3rd year. I treated them like crap to see how long they would last. I should have gotten a new set on the 3rd year but I made them last. I only wear them when I'm hunting or looking for sheds. They are pretty heavy so I bought a cheap pair for good weather days when they don't need to be water proof. Shed hunting I get anywhere from 20 to 50 miles a weekend, a lot of time in the snow all day I've had a few wet spots in conditions like that after they were a few years old.

I've got a lot of miles and nasty weather under my Hanwags. So far so good. Dry feet! I went to buy Kennetreks and the sales lady talked me into the Hanwags. She knew more about boots than any person I ever met. Glad she talked me into the Hanwags. I bought the Hanwags at the sporting goods store in downtown Buffalo Wyoming. Right next to the Longmires HQ.

So I greased up the old Kenetreks for a hunt this week. Raining pretty good and spent the day in the wet brush. I even walked through a creek that was probably 5 or 6 inches up my boots. My feet stayed dry. Go figure. They're actually broke-in real comfy now. Hopefully things continue like this. Supposed to rain pretty good this week so I just gave them a light cleaning. They'll be ready for another coat of grease here once they dry.

My overall experience with Kenetrek boots was positive although I had to do some experimenting. I first took these on a extremely wet 4 day deer hunt in Idaho. They felt very sturdy and comfortable, but my feet were a little wet. Not dangerously wet or cold, but a little more damp than I would expect from just sweat. Keep in my these boots had not been waxed. I was also wearing my Dad's worn out Browning waterproof pants that were not very waterproof anymore. The following winter I wore them a ton during heavy snow, and my feet stayed completely dry. I decided to wax them in the spring, and did a little waterproof testing while I was bank fishing. I walked in the river as deep as I could go with out water spilling in the top of my boots. I stayed in casting for often 15 minutes at a time. I did this multiple times and my feet were completely dry. This fall I wore them again hunting. This time freshly waxed. While the hunt was not nearly as I wet as the year before, I crossed many creeks and even encountered some snow. Other than the most mild dampness from sweat from hiking many miles, my feet and boots were completely dry. My theory, wax your boots and accept that no boot can keep your feet 100% dry. Waterproof boots are not as breathable as the manufacturers claim, and if you are like me and have sweaty feet, your boots will be a little damp. Waxing your boots also is essential before any serious hunt, backpacking trip, and for basic boot care. While these boots contain a waterproof liner, un waxed, the leather absorbs all of the water. This can cause condensation to enter from the top of your boot. In addition water can enter from the top of your boot from wet pants, which I believe happened with my worn-out brownings. I don't want to take anyway from anyone else's issues with these boots. I hope you all get refunds or a new pair if you're not satisfied, but this is just my two cents.

Just finished year two in my replacement Kenetrek Mountain Extreme NI this year had plenty of snow and mud. I'm pleased to report no leaks. The past two seasons were in MT with lots of very steep terrain, I've never worn a more capable boot.