Kenetrek's leak?

So I bought some Kenetreks after a friend recommended them. We hunt much the same way, covering lots of ground, all day and in wet weather. I broke them in slow, going on some short walks at first. After several hikes, they were beginning to break in proper. I greased them with some Wax I had bought from the manufacturer when I first got them, and a couple more times before going hunting. Bow season rolled around last month and we had some heavy rains one of the days I was out. I started in on my mountain bike in the rain around 6 AM, and started hiking an hour later. After tracking a bull for 3 hours, my feet were soaked. I couldn't believe it. I lifted up the pant leg of my Kuiu Yukon rain pants to see if maybe water was going down the boot itself. Nope. In fact the top couple of inches of the boots were hardly wet. I spent the whole day hunting with soaked feet. When I got home, my feet looked like a couple of prunes. The next day I wore rubber boots with good insoles (no support) and killed a bull. After a long day of hunting and a hard pack out, at least my feet weren't soaked.
The next day I called Kenetrek and asked the lady who answered if this was normal. I'm not the type to call and raise a big fit. She was really nice and said absolutely not and they would perform a leak test. I boxed them up and sent them priority mail.
After 2 weeks I hadn't heard anything and called. The guy who answered said there was a note to contact me, though no one had. With more hunting ahead, I needed my 450$ boots. He said they performed a leak test and everything was fine. I also performed a leak test, and after 3 hours of hunting in the rain my feet were prunes. Just got them back and greased them up. Gonna be hunting in the rain starting tomorrow. We'll see how she goes. I guess I just wanted to share my experience with some other hunters and see if there were any similar experiences.

Wish I had seen this thread sooner,.
My new Kenetrek Mountain Extreme NI boots are in Bozeman to be leak tested now. Day one of this past elk archery season my boots were soaked, I had treated them twice before hunting completed week one in less expensive boots that stayed dry. Couldn't get the Kenetrek's dry as we were tent camping in costal Washington. Took boots home, dried and waxed them again before week two, repeat the were soaked day one. Came back home dried and treated them again, everytime with their wax, wore them in the yard with wet grass and they leaked. Now I'm waiting to hear from Kenetrek but with intrepidation after reading the posts

Wish I had seen this thread sooner,.
My new Kenetrek Mountain Extreme NI boots are in Bozeman to be leak tested now. Day one of this past elk archery season my boots were soaked, I had treated them twice before hunting completed week one in less expensive boots that stayed dry. Couldn't get the Kenetrek's dry as we were tent camping in costal Washington. Took boots home, dried and waxed them again before week two, repeat the were soaked day one. Came back home dried and treated them again, everytime with their wax, wore them in the yard with wet grass and they leaked. Now I'm waiting to hear from Kenetrek but with intrepidation after reading the posts

Great News, I received word from Kenetrek that they are sending me a replacement pair of boots.
Their customer service is great! Just sucks to get wet feet. We had a tough trip this year with wet snow, rain, and LOTS of mud. All 3 of us wearing Kenetreks got wet feet. Mine were the new pair that they just sent me. My Hanwags did not leak. Not quite as comfortable though.

For the money i expect no leaks. Mine havr been treated every other month and many miles. Still we feet. For the cost of shipping. Great customer service still isnt worth the hassle. I wont buy another pair. My Crispi are dry and more comfortable.

Adam

For the money i expect no leaks. Mine havr been treated every other month and many miles. Still we feet. For the cost of shipping. Great customer service still isnt worth the hassle. I wont buy another pair. My Crispi are dry and more comfortable.

Adam
I agree. I have gone boot poor trying to find a boot to replace the Kenetrek. So far I have not found as good a boot for the kind of hunting we do. I tried to find https://www.crispius.com/briksdal-sf-gtx this boot to try on last summer. I couldn't and did not want to mail order them hoping they would do the trick.

I've got to agree, I'm anxious about breaking in another pair and if they are waterproof this time.
The overall construction is incredible makes me wonder if the manufacturer has failed in some way with the waterproofing. I'll be sure to share my results

Have you guys tried the Hoffman explorers? I think they would be a good boot to try.

I had a pair for less than a year and they leaked. Took them back to Scheels and they exchanged them for a new pair. Hunted the rest of the season with the new ones and no leaks yet

I bought a pair directly from Kenentrek, Hard scrabbles. The sole fell off the 2nd or 3rd time out. They replaced them. The sole fell off the second pair and they leaked. I sent them back and they accused me of drying them out by a fire. I explained that I don't even HAVE fires when hunting. They were going to try and glue them back together. I convinced them it would be a waste of time. They sent me another new pair. This pair lasted a full season, slightly leaked but I mostly hunt where it's dry. 2 eyelets pulled out and multiple seams came apart. My ankles rolled MORE with this boot than all the other boots I have owned combined. I talked to Kenetrek at the SHOT show and they were willing to rebuild them buy I decided it wasn't worth it. I threw them in the trash last week. I ordered some La Sportiva Trango Cube yesterday and I am trying to find some Salewa Vultur EVO GTX right now.

I am not a supporter of Kenetrek. I think there are better built and better designed boots for the way I hunt.

I drove from Phx to Tucson last year to Summit hut and bought some Lowa boots. They are great boots but not nearly rigid enough for coues deer hunting. I bought them for an African trip and they were overkill for that.

Sell The kenetrek on eBay and get measured for some Russel TLC or Grandslam sheep hunters...you will be happy. Just worked most of the day In my Russell chukka...feet feel great