Kenetrek waterproofness?

bearcat2

Trying to find me a new pair of uninsulated boots. I am tired of always having wet feet, and seems like every boot I try anymore leaks within a few months if not when new. I have narrow feet and high arches (one bad arch now from packing too many 125-150# packs out). Seems like most of the boots nowadays, and practically all made in China boots are too wide. I remember when I was younger I would just get standard width boots and they fit fine, I'm pretty sure my feet haven't gotten narrower, but most boots are wide and sloppy on me now, which really sucks on sidehills. I like a tall boot with a lot of ankle support.
Anyways I've tried on the Kennetreks and they are one of the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever tried, and the arch feels awesome. But the one outfitter I work for tried two pairs of them, the first pair one boot leaked badly, took them back and got a replacement pair and on those both boots leaked. I know they have pretty good reviews, but was specifically looking for others experience with their waterproofness. Was it just one guys bad luck, or have others had waterproof issues with them?
Or a comparable brand of boots they thought were better. I've tried Crispi's, would recommend them to anyone who doesn't have much for arches. very well made boot, but NO arch support, even with custom arch supports in them, as soon as I put weight on my back they kill my right foot. They are waterproof though and a nice narrow boot (they make wider sizes) that if it wasn't for the sole and arch support would fit great. Also been looking at Lowas but haven't got a pair to try on yet and most of their lineup are shorter boots. In fact their Tall models don't actually state how tall they are, but none look to be over 10" (my minimum prefered height)

Have you guys tried rubbing in a conditioner/sealer to see if that would block the moisture?

Are you walking through creeks?

My kenetreks eventually leaked. Sent them back to be refurbished and now no leaks. Don't know what they did, but so far so good. On the other hand, I am really liking my Crispis.

Nothing personally on the Kenetreks but I know of people that have had alot of problems with them leaking.
I'm on my secound pair of Danner Elk Hunters in the last 25 years granted I only hunt in them but I'm not easy on them.. There exclusively from Cabelas and my feet have never been wet other than 1 time i waded a small stream and went over the top

Yes I use leather conditioner/oil, have used many different types over the years. It does usually help, and with the old style straight leather boots of good quality would often keep them waterproof all day. Problem being that the leather doesn't seem to be the quality anymore since the 'waterproof' liners like Goretex came out. This is one reason I want to stick with an all leather boot though, because I have never seen a synthetic boot stay waterproof over a couple months the way I wear them.

Yes I walk through creeks, wet grass and brush, rain and at times snow and slush (I have winter boots I am happy with, so these would see a limited amount of snow and slush, I'll be wearing my Hoffman's in cold weather and larger amounts of snow). In my opinion a waterproof boot should be waterproof unless water comes in the top of them; which includes wicking down socks from wet pants, not the boots fault, but if my socks are dry at the top of my boots I expect them to be dry at the bottoms

i have had my Kenetreks for close to ten years (same for my wife and my brother) and never had any issues with them. We just make sure to wax them good and heavy before every season and set them by the fireplace heat to soak in over nigh.

Trying to find me a new pair of uninsulated boots. I am tired of always having wet feet, and seems like every boot I try anymore leaks within a few months if not when new. I have narrow feet and high arches (one bad arch now from packing too many 125-150# packs out). Seems like most of the boots nowadays, and practically all made in China boots are too wide. I remember when I was younger I would just get standard width boots and they fit fine, I'm pretty sure my feet haven't gotten narrower, but most boots are wide and sloppy on me now, which really sucks on sidehills. I like a tall boot with a lot of ankle support.
Anyways I've tried on the Kennetreks and they are one of the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever tried, and the arch feels awesome. But the one outfitter I work for tried two pairs of them, the first pair one boot leaked badly, took them back and got a replacement pair and on those both boots leaked. I know they have pretty good reviews, but was specifically looking for others experience with their waterproofness. Was it just one guys bad luck, or have others had waterproof issues with them?
Or a comparable brand of boots they thought were better. I've tried Crispi's, would recommend them to anyone who doesn't have much for arches. very well made boot, but NO arch support, even with custom arch supports in them, as soon as I put weight on my back they kill my right foot. They are waterproof though and a nice narrow boot (they make wider sizes) that if it wasn't for the sole and arch support would fit great. Also been looking at Lowas but haven't got a pair to try on yet and most of their lineup are shorter boots. In fact their Tall models don't actually state how tall they are, but none look to be over 10" (my minimum prefered height)
In 1992 I bought a pair of DANNER gor Tex 200 gm thinsulate 8 inch high all leather boots. I used and I abused them for over 12 years in Wy in -30 F at times weekly. When the leather stitching came loose in places I could still stand in The North Platte River and THEY NEVER LEAKED.

I have used Kenetrek Mountain Guides for a couple of seasons now and have not had any leaking. I also use them during bad/cold weather when I shoot NRL/PRS matches. I am very good about putting their boot waterproofing wax on them once or twice a year also.

Use Kenetrek Mountain Guide NI, with no problems, including leakage, using their sealant, heavily when new and X2 every season, more with off season wear. Very comfortable. They aren't waders for the swamp, however.

I use the NI mountain boots and eventually they will leak but I learned to take care of them. Keep away from fires and dry them each day(boot dryer) I also use their waterproofing stuff before the season and then again if Ill be hunting in rain or snow consistently. If I take care of the boots and treat them with their stuff I am good to go with no leaks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.