Ken Farrell Rings and Bases

Drift141

Hello all. I am new to this forum, but have a great time reading all of the great information that is posted. I have been looking at possibly getting a rail base for my rifle on order (Montana XWRSS in 6.5x284). I recently ordered a Leupold VX3 6.5x20x50 with TMR reticle. Has anyone had an experience with these rings and bases? According to their website, they state that lapping the rings is not required. I am not sure about this because every scope is different. Also, these rings and bases are expensive!! Are they worth the money? I am also interested in getting the bases and rings coated to match the barrel and receiver. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Can't tell you anything about coating, but I have Ken Farrel rings and bases on two rifles. They are very solid and I have not lapped either set. Yes, they are pricey, but you get what you pay for.

An easy way to determine whether your rings (only the lower) need to be lapped is: wrap white file labels around the scope where rings will sit. Apply Prussian blue to the lower rings. Lower scope onto the rings, press down, and remove. If you get a good impression on the white labels, you need not lap them. Clean up Prussian blue with denatured alcohol.

Upper rings cannot be lapped, only lower.

Last edited:
Can't tell you anything about coating, but I have Ken Farrel rings and bases on two rifles. They are very solid and I have not lapped either set. Yes, they are pricey, but you get what you pay for.

An easy way to determine whether your rings (only the lower) need to be lapped is: wrap white file labels around the scope where rings will sit. Apply Prussian blue to the lower rings. Lower scope onto the rings, press down, and remove. If you get a good impression on the white labels, you need not lap them. Clean up Prussian blue with denatured alcohol.

Upper rings cannot be lapped, only lower.

Thank you for your help. That sounds like a great method to determine if you need to lap the rings. I will try it out. At this point, I am pretty sure I will go with Farrell rings and bases. I will have to call them to find out what height will cover my scope. I have read that their bases tend to sit high, so low mounts might work.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.