Keeping the rifle dry

buzz4me2

What do you all do to keep your rifle dry while hunting in the rain? Besides taping the end of the barrel and using a good scabbard if you are on a horse? Are there any products that go over the bolt to keep water out?

I have found a Kifaru rain cover that says you can still shoot with it on your rifle. Anyone use one of these and if so how did you like it.

Kifaru International :: Hunting Accessories :: Rifle Rain Cover

Thanks for the info.

Besides the scope caps and the electrical tape on the muzzle, nothing. The rifle gets wet.

This has always worked for me. Why fix what aint broke? :D

+1
Water is pretty tenacious.
Beside, you have to take it out to shoot.
So, it's inevitably going to get wet.
Take care of it at the end of the day.
-- richard

Besides the scope caps and the electrical tape on the muzzle, nothing. The rifle gets wet.

This has always worked for me. Why fix what aint broke? :D

Same here...it gets wet. You can wipe on and off a layer of WD-40 to metal surfaces and that will go a long way to keep corrosion at bay while hunting. Attracts dust though, but if dust it your problem, moisture likely isn't. Take it apart and dry/clean it as soon as you get home.

I use scope covers and keep the muzzle down. Anything else is really a waste of time and money because water will find it's way around most anything else.

If you don't have a stainless rig, proper lubrication/protectant and maintenance is a must.

Any "cover" you put over the rifle is simply going to trap moisture against the rifle unless you completely seal it with shrink wrap or something similar.

dry it when back inside and I keep a silicon cloth in my pack that gets wiped down every night and alcohol lens cleaning pads for the scope. No issues.

My rifle and scope work well in the rain. I dont cover anything nor do I believe in it. But then I dont believe in shooting stix, bipods, or hunting guides either, just that much less stuff to carry around. Once in a while I do wipe my scope off with my handkerchief tho.

I remember the other thing I was thinking about in regards to this thread. Kifaru makes a 'Gun Bearer' that puts the rifle in front of you hands free, with the weight on your pack hip belt and ready for instant use--very handy--hardly notice it most of the time and the way I wear it, the rifle barrel crossing my chest/neck area gives me a great steady rest on the barrel with 10x binos when on the trail. BUT, the other nice thing about this is you can position the rifle so that the action is pretty much between your arm and your body (mine guns naturally sit this way) and quite sheltered from weather w/o any special addt'l gadgets. Something to consider anyway. I've hunted in quite a lot of rain the past couple of years.

Hunting GunBearers

I haven't used a rifle sling at all in years.

Last edited:
I have hunted extensively in the rain, Oregon and Alaska. I use the Kifaru cover but have never shot with it on, it works great while the rifle is on the pack, normally you have time to take the rifle out of th pack and the cover off prior to the shot, especially at long range. Other than that I use Butler Creek scope caps, apply Eezox to the metal and of course use tape over the barrel which is more important than protecting from just rain. All that being done rifle is going to get a little wet, just wipe it down when back in camp/tent.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.