Keeping Rem 700 Bolt Closed

morgaj1

I have historically hunted with Tikka's and Win70's that lock the bolt closed on safety. I am building my first 700 and am wondering how you guys keep your bolt closed when hunting in thick terrain. The obvious choice was a build that accepts an AICS magazine, and do not cock the bolt until settleed. But I really like a flush-mount floor plate. I guess I could used a thick rubber band, but there has to be a better solution.

I have never had an issue keeping any of my bolts closed.
I have many rifles that do not lock the bolt from opening when the safety is on.
If your concerned, keep it open and close it when ready to fire.
I have a buddy with a rifle that uses detachable magazines, 3 times now he has lost the fully loaded magazine.
I would prefer the bolt opening to losing an expensive full magazine.
My other buddy leant his rifle against a tree after shooting a deer across a gully. He didn't mark the spot on his GPS like we normally do. Spent 4 hours that day searching for it, the whole day the following day and 3 weekends after that...never found it cuz he taped the whole thing with camo tape and unless you were standing right on top of it you would never see it.

Cheers.

I have historically hunted with Tikka's and Win70's that lock the bolt closed on safety. I am building my first 700 and am wondering how you guys keep your bolt closed when hunting in thick terrain. The obvious choice was a build that accepts an AICS magazine, and do not cock the bolt until settleed. But I really like a flush-mount floor plate. I guess I could used a thick rubber band, but there has to be a better solution.
You can have a 3 position Winchester style installed fairly easy

Originally, the Remington/Walker trigger incorporated a bolt lock when the safety was "ON". But, it wasn't a 3 position, the safety was either "ON" or "OFF". This ment that if the rifle was to be unloaded by manipulating the bolt, the safety had to be in the "OFF" position (think about it, the ADL model has no floorplate). This condition publicized many unintentional discharges where several were killed. BIG law suit! The 'locked on safety' was eliminated, and eventually, the Walker trigger was 're-engineered' into what comes now on the rifle, which many shooters replace because of it poor pull qualities. I've built many 'classic' rifles using Mauser '98 actions (which I have re-carburized). The overwhelming choice of my clients is the 3 position safety, like is shown in the video the Butterbean provided. Personally, I've never had a problem keeping the bolt on a Rem 700 closed in the brush or anywhere else, for that matter.

Originally, the Remington/Walker trigger incorporated a bolt lock when the safety was "ON". But, it wasn't a 3 position, the safety was either "ON" or "OFF". This ment that if the rifle was to be unloaded by manipulating the bolt, the safety had to be in the "OFF" position (think about it, the ADL model has no floorplate). This condition publicized many unintentional discharges where several were killed. BIG law suit! The 'locked on safety' was eliminated, and eventually, the Walker trigger was 're-engineered' into what comes now on the rifle, which many shooters replace because of it poor pull qualities. I've built many 'classic' rifles using Mauser '98 actions (which I have re-carburized). The overwhelming choice of my clients is the 3 position safety, like is shown in the video the Butterbean provided. Personally, I've never had a problem keeping the bolt on a Rem 700 closed in the brush or anywhere else, for that matter.
I've never had a problem with the bolt coming open ever but I have had an unintentional discharge with the X Mark pro trigger so I replaced it

Get a plain black or whatever color you want ponytail holder, pull it over the bolt knob on one side and over the trigger guard on the other side. Stays on pretty good and pulls off with out much trouble.

Just ask a 65 Creedmoor Shooter tomorrow an extra one LOL(man bun )LOL
Spitting coffe.gif