Keeping it simple with reloading

Excellent video Alex. I suspect most of us followed a very similar process, with the exception of neck turning when we started out and were quite happy with the results.
Thats correct. Perfecting the basics is really all you need to do for 99% of us.
I think a lot of guys have been led down the wrong path. How many have a bad sizing die or have it setup wrong and bought a $500+ annealer to fix short brass life problems? I suspect a lot. Or how many bought a $1000 dollar press to fix "runout" or inconsistent seating depths? The basics done right are whats really important and it can be done with surprisingly inexpensive gear (mostly).

I have followed basically the same when loading for my bench gun but when shooting across the course (service rifle ) you will tumble and full length size trimmed about every third loading I could get about 10-12 loadings from each case that's loading for the AR-15 now the M1A you won't get that many loadings. The other thing is constancy
FWIW the famed reloader/researcher/author Larry Gibson stopped testing/checking his 308 Win cases - and threw them out - at 16 reloads without trimming of a typical High Power load in an M1A, when expressly using RCBS 'X' dies (they stop all case growth).

His tutorial on this is all over the net ... just apparently not on here, LOL!

Thats correct. Perfecting the basics is really all you need to do for 99% of us.
I think a lot of guys have been led down the wrong path. How many have a bad sizing die or have it setup wrong and bought a $500+ annealer to fix short brass life problems? I suspect a lot. Or how many bought a $1000 dollar press to fix "runout" or inconsistent seating depths? The basics done right are whats really important and it can be done with surprisingly inexpensive gear (mostly).
You slobbered a bib full right the Brother

I don't see anyone caring about hunting accuracy needing to worry about what tiny amount of accuracy weighing and measuring brass and bullets may give you. I'm not sure it gives you anything, benchrest seems to involve a lot of voodoo and superstition. (Note, I like everyone want to maximize my success hunting, but in a hunting scenario such tiny gains are wiped out by all of the variables that come with the lack of uniformity of a competition situation).

The described process more or less mirrors mine for F-Class except I only neck size, shoulder set-back is only required every 3-4 loadings. I keep all reloads in batches so who cares if there is some variability there. That said I've used neck sized rounds as sighters then immediately followed up with FL sized rounds to confirm before going to record, and darned if they don't stack together.

The whole not cleaning thing works great when the brass goes from the shell box to the chamber and back to the shell box, no ejector. Not so much when you're picking brass off the ground.

Whether right or wrong my LR hunting brass have never seen any type of cleaner i.e tumbler or sonic of any kind
Yeah I stopped tumbling years ago. I found all it did was take up time and I sometimes would get dust from the media inside my cases and I thought that can't be good. So I don't clean my brass other than wipe it off with a rag or paper towel when removing the case lube.

Recent Posts