Keeping it simple with reloading

I have been shooting 1k for a long time. There are so many rabbit holes you can go down. My opinion is that 99% of your rifles accuracy is the tune. Sorting and measuring help but not until your at a certain level. Glenn Kulzer shot 8 new records in 2021, no other feat has come close in 1000y shooting

This is awesome information. I like how basic his process is and the proof is in the groups, scores, and records he shoots. Please post more of these. I always appreciate the knowledge you share and bring to the shooting community.

Last edited:
Man. That's refreshing! Seems like every thread eventually just goes down one or more rabbit holes.

I have noticed a tendency in myself over the years to be a little OCD about some things. I'm not an OCD person, really. But sometimes I have found myself intentionally having to NOT do _____ in day to day life, just so a habit doesn't form.

I think people in general lean that way. Reloading seems like an excuse to be OCD in a lot of ways. In fact, it's practically DEMANDED in reloading manuals, forums, etc. Let me be clear and say that of course, attention to detail is 100% required in reloading. And that, of course, consistency is of highest importance. However, I think a lot of people (especially in early years of reloading) keep adding layer after layer into their reloading routine. This could be "since everybody else" does it, or could simply be fear of lost potential accuracy is they skip whatever step in the process. Who knows, maybe we just like to buy new tools for the bench! Whatever the reasoning though, I think far fewer people actually try to get hard data (through their groups) that proves their additional steps are actually benefitting them.

It's refreshing to see a thread about things getting LESS complicated. Sure could use more of that in my life!

Thanks for posting, Alex!

Well, that might work for brass that never hits the ground, never gets dirty or dusty, with a rifle that's got a generous chamber and "no turn neck" and if you're not loading the same cases 7-10 times or more.

I would not recommend the average guy do this with a factory rifle or with brass not shot exclusively in clean environments.

If you're not paying attention those necks will lengthen and thicken to the point that you're going to develop some serious pressure problems in most chambers if you're not paying attention to neck wall thickness neck length, and overall length.

I'm glad he's had such great success with his method but he is by definition an expert shooting a custom rifle with a custom chamber and we don't know the spec's.

Reloading is not a hobby that lends well to haphazardry and shortcuts, those can seriously damage or destroy your rifle not to mention your face, eyes, and hands.

You'll live longer, shoot well, and with fewer scars maybe just paying attention to those few things.