keep or return the vortex?

timmay

I just bought a Vortex viper 6.5-20x50 with mil dot. I was trying to decide between it and a Weaver Super Slam in 3.5-15x42 ebx reticle.
Its going on a winchester m70 extreme sporter 270wsm

I wanted a lower power magnification scope for this , the 3.5-15 was what i was looking for with a 40-44 objective to keep it low on the rifle.

The Vortex is nice though, its lighter (but lighter just feels cheaper to me when it comes to scopes) than the SS but one thing that keeps bugging me is that its made in the Philippines but the Weaver is made in Japan
The Weaver SS feel so much more durable. The Vortex is real light and feels kinda cheap to me.
I bought the Vortex because of all the reviews instead of going with my gut with the super slam.
Should I just shut up and not worry about it and use the vortex, or return it and get the Weaver super slam? I do like the viper though dont get me wrong, I just wish it had a lower magnification level and was made in Japan...I know they make them in lower magnification levels but the store doesnt have them and I cant order one online, I can only pay cash locally right now

I just bought a Vortex viper 6.5-20x50 with mil dot. I was trying to decide between it and a Weaver Super Slam in 3.5-15x42 ebx reticle.
Its going on a winchester m70 extreme sporter 270wsm

I wanted a lower power magnification scope for this , the 3.5-15 was what i was looking for with a 40-44 objective to keep it low on the rifle.

The Vortex is nice though, its lighter (but lighter just feels cheaper to me when it comes to scopes) than the SS but one thing that keeps bugging me is that its made in the Philippines but the Weaver is made in Japan
The Weaver SS feel so much more durable. The Vortex is real light and feels kinda cheap to me.
I bought the Vortex because of all the reviews instead of going with my gut with the super slam.
Should I just shut up and not worry about it and use the vortex, or return it and get the Weaver super slam? I do like the viper though dont get me wrong, I just wish it had a lower magnification level and was made in Japan...I know they make them in lower magnification levels but the store doesnt have them and I cant order one online, I can only pay cash locally right now

This one's up to you. I'm not sure about the Super Slam. I've never been around one. I do have one of the Vipers and I like it. It's a good scope for what I use it for. Where did you get it? Cameraland is taking orders the plex version of the Vortex Viper PA for $279.00

i owned 2 of the Vipers and wasn't very impressed with either. the reason i had 2 was because i sent the first back because it didn't repeat or move the correct amount. both scopes repeated poorly and both moved the POI about 10% more than it was supposed to. they let me trade the second in on a 4-16 HS model and couldn't be happier. it repeats like it has an NF on the side and generally speaking seems to be a great scope. i'm just not very impressed with the regular Vipers. i would give their customer service an A+ though!

Return the one you presently have.

Shop for the Weaver online and then give your CASH to someone with a credit card and have them order it for you...lightbulb

I have found that regardless of how well or poorly made a piece of equipment is, if you don't have confidence in it - it will negatively effect your accuracy. So much of shooting is a mind game. If you can't trust the scope, you probably won't have the required confidence to hit long range targets.

Second thought: with scopes, lightweight does not necessarily translate into cheap. Leupold makes a great lightweight scope, but nobody calls them cheap.

Good luck with your decision.

I've had a viper for 2yrs. No problems with zero or adjustments. I am very confident in my scope. Like someone else said though, its up to you.

I've had a viper for 2yrs. No problems with zero or adjustments. I am very confident in my scope. Like someone else said though, its up to you.

I mounted it and will be taking it out tomorrow. If it tracks well Im going to keep it.
I feel how well a scope tracks through the whole range of adjustment and how well the point of impact stays the same through the magnification range is far more important than clarity. To be honest I cant tell all that much difference in clarity between a whole lot of scopes. Id much rather pay for durability and repeatabilty than clarity. I think people tend to put way too much emphasis on how clear a scope is rather than more important things.
I think it should go in order of durability, tracking, repeatability, then clarity IMO.

Ive read that the weavers have been very well at these functions and are built very solid.
But if the Viper passes the test Ill keep it. Ive now fallen for the scope bug so Im sure Ill find a reason to buy more

I guess a way to tell how well a scope is tracking for me is to shoot one (100yds), run the scope up 4 moa - shoot, right 4 moa - shoot, down 4 moa - shoot, the left 4 moa - shoot ! You Should come back to where you started with a nice box! Just my 2 cents! (I just used 4 moa as an example)

It can be a little tricky to do, but take some freezer paper and draw 40 or 50 (or however many you want) horizontal lines precisely 1MOA apart with a sharpie. This is assuming your scope is in 1/4moa clicks and not 1/4 inch clicks. Write your MOA value next to each line. This will make your lines right at 1 and 3/64" apart, good luck with this, like I said, tricky. Staple it up on plywood or equivalent at exactly 100 yards. You'll need to be able to keep your rifle extremely still as you start with your reticle on the top line you've drawn. Start dialing up your reticle comparing what your turret is telling you compared to where your reticle is on the paper. A real good weighted gun vise works best for this, the gun can't move. This will give you a real good idea if your scope is tracking right without shooting a bunch of ammunition.

I only know a couple people that run a Viper, they seem to be a really good scope for the money. I have the Weaver built Nitrex TRII ( same scope as the Super Slam) and it too is a good scope. Nice glass, turrets/ adjustments are spot on, and it feels like it's built like a tank. You won't go wrong with either.
Just my opinion but I if you mount it and use it then it's used goods. You don't have to mount it to see if whether you like it or not. The only thing I can think of that mounting it to check it out is to see how it handles recoil.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.