Kawasaki mule steering issues

JimFromTN

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this or heard of it. My steering went out on my 2009 mule. The steering wheel just spins and does not turn the wheels. What is happening is that the bottom steering joint is spinning on the shaft coming out of the floor. It appears that there are splines in the joint and splines on the shaft coming out of the floor and they mate up. It happened before and because I had never worked on one before, I took it to someone who fixed it. I think they charged me $60. It happened again and after inspecting it, it looks like the last person just torqued it down until it worked. The splines on the shaft coming out of the floor look ok so I am assuming the splines on the joint and stripping or wearing down. I am reluctant to torque it down anymore in fear of bending the joint to the point where I can't get it off if the splines are just too far gone. What I don't understand if why I can't find any information about this. I have a hard time believing that this is the first time this has ever happened in the history of this vehicle.