Katahdin Thompson Center ProHunter 50x209 20" barrel loads?

albritt

I have been hunting with a 26" barreled TC Prohunter 50x209 for 20 yrs and after finding the load it liked it has been the most accurate and dependable muzzle loader I have ever owned. With that being said the 20" Katahdin barrel has always intrigued me so I bought a new reciever and the Katahdin 20" barrel.
If some one owns the 20" Katahdin barrel I would really appreciate it if you could let me know what powder bullet sabot combo you came up with that shoots best in your Katahdin barrel.
I presently shoot 120gr Black Horn 209, Barnes 250gr TMZ's and CCI magnum 209 primers in my 26" barrel.
Do to load shortages I am looking for a place to start as far as loads for the short barrel.
Any and all load combos welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_160452085.jpg
    IMG_20210127_160452085.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 472
Not a Katahdin, but I cut my Knight to 20 inches.

All charges are weighed.

210 gr Cutting Edge Maximus with a Green Harvester Crush Rib Sabot, 63gr BH 209, Win primer = 2112 FPS
250 gr Maximus with Green Sabot, 73gr BH 209, Win primer = 1875 FPS
250gr Hornady FTX (for a lever action) with a Red Crush Rib Sabot

I think with the shorter barrel I found better accuracy with lower charge weights.

Good luck. Was looking at the Katahdins for ever and then just decided I would cut my barrel. Have done two now. Love the shorty's in the woods.

I'd be surprised if your current load did not perform admirably in the short barrel as well. Perhaps even better due to the increased stiffness of a short tube.

I slapped a 20" Katahdin bbl on my 209x50 receiver too. Shooting 350gr Sierras at 2,000 ft/sec. Somehow the 500 S&W cases make it a lot faster to reload. LOL
Hello, I've got regular encores, can I put a Katahdin barrel on one of these or do I need a black powder frame.

Anybody shooting patched .50 cal round ball with one pellet of Pyrodex from the 20" Katahdin MZ barrel ? Should be a fun plinker load for close range pest control ...

Last edited:
Anybody shooting patched .50 cal round ball with one pellet of Pyrodex from the 20" Katahdin MZ barrel ? Should be a fun plinker load for close range pest control ...
We do that in our omegas, my dad uses on 50gr pellet T7 and I use 30gr volume of T7 loose, golf ball accurate at 50 yards.