Kansas Quail hunting

Short Case

I live in Missouri and looking for Quail hunting in Kansas.
Where is the best Quail hunting at. I like the Hays and Russell area for Pheasant
but have not found any Quail in the area we hunt.

Over the last couple years central to south-central Kansas has held the highest numbers of quail. We're finishing up another good nesting season right now, this year should be another good one. KDWPT always posts their quail survey reports on the department webpage towards the end of the summer. That's a good place to look when you're planning your trip.

Good luck,

Derek

Also there is a awesome restaurant in Alton KD. A town of 125 people but the food is awesome and desert is the best

This is sounding great. Have a 8 month old drahthaar pup and hoping to get out a lot with him this fall. Haven't hunted bobwhites in over 20 years. Going to be a great fall.

I live an hour north of hays ks and our quail numbers are definitely up. There are quail everywhere.

Best I can tell is eastern CO and western KS have had good moisture. I am hoping for a stellar fall. The pup grew up to an 81 pound upland hunting dog, loving hunting with him.

Best I can tell is eastern CO and western KS have had good moisture. I am hoping for a stellar fall. The pup grew up to an 81 pound upland hunting dog, loving hunting with him.
How about some pictures of your Pup, I love that dog

If you're coming to KS for birds, you'd better focus your attention on the western half of the state. The NE 1/4 of the state is in a severe drought this year and bird populations haven't been that stellar for the last decade, or so any way. Beloit W to Stockton, N to Alma Nebraska, E to Red Cloud Nebraska, S to Cawker City. That would be my choice of narrowing down Kansas, for pheasant and quail. Traditional grass plains territory and friendly area with plenty of walk-in hunting for birds. Tends to get busy, as 24 Hwy corridor is very popular for these reasons. That said, this year especially, everything west of Salina (pronounced; Suh-line-uh), has gotten above average rain fall and should prove to be the best they've been in several years. It was very evident with prairie dog numbers this year... I heard time and again, "This is how it was in the 70's. Hard to beat shootin' dogs like this." Any way, good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.