Kansas 2012 Squirrel Opener

jwp1964

Anyone else planning on getting out to shoot some squirrels tomorrow? This will be my first dedicated squirrel hunt in years and it looks like weather will cooperate. Going to be mid-40s to start the morning.

Sighted in the Ruger 10/22 this week and I'm ready to check out our Hardwood draws since most are filled with oak, hickory and walnut trees. Just fox squirrels in my part of Kansas as grays are just east of here. Looking forward to fried squirrel and biscuits/gravy this weekend.

I can't believe I've ignored small game hunting so long (wrapped up in whitetail, hogs and coyotes and ignored my hunting roots).

Any interesting recipes would be appreciated.:D:D

Update: Ok, just returned from a couple hours of squirrel hunting and walking in the woods. I did not shoot as well as I should, but still ended up with 3 Fox Squirrels and a bonus juvenile coyote. Was using Ruger 10/22 with Win LR ammo. Only reason I took coyote with the 22lr was 25 yard broadside head shot. Dropped him on impact. All and all a good start to the squirrel season! Squirrels everywhere in oak stands.

SquirrelOpener2012KS.jpg
[/IMG]

Squirrelopenerbonus2012KS.jpg
[/IMG]

Last time I hunted squirrels in KS this time of year, I spent almost as much time hunting for ticks after I got home! I don't remember how many squirrels I got, but I remember I had a good time with friends.

Nick

Last time I hunted squirrels in KS this time of year, I spent almost as much time hunting for ticks after I got home! I don't remember how many squirrels I got, but I remember I had a good time with friends.

Nick

Luckily I had a wooded draw with a dirt road through it and hunted from our private road so only got two ticks. Going to have our first annual Tallgrass Lodge Guide Squrrel hunt/competition. 5 rounds per person, 5 squirrel limit. Head shot kill gains fifty cents, miss and body shots cost one dollar each. Should be an interesting Saturday morning at the lodge.

My results from the First Annual Tallgrass Lodge Squirrel Shoot/Competition...I got half the kills this morning and much of the $s! Good times.

:D

Attachments

• 1st Annual TG Comp.jpg
    1st Annual TG Comp.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 131
Congrats - that looks like such fun. I miss hunting those big ol fox squirrels. They are pretty hard to find here in CO except in town where they are safe from hunters unless one has a very stealthy air gun with a holographic sight... And you can't beat that for improving your shooting skills and having fun at the same time.
I brined some squirrel a few months ago for 24 hrs, and then cooked them on the grill with a rub, then glazed with bbq sauce at end. They were tender, juicy, and finger licking good!

Congrats - that looks like such fun. I miss hunting those big ol fox squirrels. They are pretty hard to find here in CO except ...

...in my backyard. One of my idiot neighbors feeds the **** things and they are all over the place. I've been laying waste to those things for the last 6 years with some Super Colibiri ammo from Aquilia. Very quite and head shots are deadly. I stopped counting at 400.

Have you pack rat hunted in KS yet. I did once on a farm outside of Abilene. Spent some time in JC too. I was stationed at Ft. Riley. Had a few hangout spots downtown. We even hung out on "J" hill one night. We ran down the J as fast as we could w/o wiping out. Good Times! I miss KS!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts