Kaliphornia B.S.

ssi

I'm hoping someone here can help me with a reloading question. I have 4 center fire rifles for hunting…… a couple of dozen boxes of Premium factory rounds. I have collet and inertia bullet pullers and copper/ monolithic replacement bullets. I can't find any powders for reloading. Can I use the factory powder safely with similar weight replacement bullets ??? 6 of the boxes are Hornady Superperformance powders pushing a 95 grain SST. I have 80 grain GMX monolithic.

I'm hoping someone here can help me with a reloading question. I have 4 center fire rifles for hunting…… a couple of dozen boxes of Premium factory rounds. I have collet and inertia bullet pullers and copper/ monolithic replacement bullets. I can't find any powders for reloading. Can I use the factory powder safely with similar weight replacement bullets ??? 6 of the boxes are Hornady Superperformance powders pushing a 95 grain SST. I have 80 grain GMX monolithic.
No. Well you could I guess but that doesn't mean it's gonna shoot and you'll need to resize the necks. The Superformance Hornady uses in their factory rounds is not the same as the Superformance powder available to the public. They have a ton of different powder formulas they use in their ammunition and none of them are available for sale to tho public. Ie no load data available.

why can't you just use the factory loaded ammunition? Hornady stuff typically shoots pretty lights out and

there's a local shop I go to when I'm working here in Ca and they had 8lb jugs Superformance, which will work in your 243

Sounds like you have some really good Hornady ammo and want to reload for one of your bigger rifles? If so I think I would keep the factory ammo, (it's really good stuff). and maybe just by a box or two of factory ammo until the components you need come around. Ammo is getting more available every day and the components will follow soon. If I am off base please just ignore, MT

Just an FYI, not that I recommend pulling Hornady ammo apart, but what you're talking about is called "Mexican Match" ammo. Started way back when with guys pulling bullets from 7.62 M118 loaded rounds and replacing with 168 SMK's. Also seen it done with 223 etc.

due to the reduced neck tension, you do run the risk of when ejecting a loaded round, leaving that bullet lodged in the lands and dumping powder all over the place. Not ideal

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm in West Sacramento. I did buy factory premium monolithic prior to the ban on buying through the mail for my .270 and 30/06. Have 40 rounds for each. My favorite deer- midsized game is my custom stocked 6mm Remington. They make a very limited annual run. I was just curious because I have so many boxes of excellent factory ammo but it's not lead free. I left all most of my firearms and all of my reloading equipment and dies, etc in Georgia Too expensive to have shipped here. I bought a single stage press and dies here but can't locate powders primers. It was probably a stupid question. I know better , but I'm not as knowledgeable as many of the people I read on this website. Thanx again.

Just an FYI, not that inrecommend pulling Barbary ammo apart, but what you're talking about is called "Mexican Match" ammo. Started way back when with guys pulling bullets from 7.62 M118 loaded rounds and replacing with 168 SMK's. Also seen it done with 223 etc.

due to the reduced neck tension, you do run the risk of when ejecting a loaded round, leaving that bullet lodged in the lands and dumping powder all over the place. Not ideal

Great video. Thank you.

Thanks guys. I'm in West Sacramento. I did buy factory premium monolithic prior to the ban on buying through the mail for my .270 and 30/06. Have 40 rounds for each. My favorite deer- midsized game is my custom stocked 6mm Remington. They make a very limited annual run. I was just curious because I have so many boxes of excellent factory ammo but it's not lead free. I left all most of my firearms and all of my reloading equipment and dies, etc in Georgia Too expensive to have shipped here. I bought a single stage press and dies here but can't locate powders primers. It was probably a stupid question. I know better , but I'm not as knowledgeable as many of the people I read on this website. Thanx again.

FWIW, "supposedly" from what I've heard, and of which of course I have no knowledge or experience in doing myself, some CA deer huntin I've "heard" about was done with was with 175 SMK's and a few solid coppers in the pocket….., just in case 😉 not that I condone this type of action of course

give Camarillo Guns Store a call. They got a shipment of 4350 and Superformance a couple weeks ago.

No. Well you could I guess but that doesn't mean it's gonna shoot and you'll need to resize the necks. The Superformance Hornady uses in their factory rounds is not the same as the Superformance powder available to the public. They have a ton of different powder formulas they use in their ammunition and none of them are available for sale to tho public. Ie no load data available.

why can't you just use the factory loaded ammunition? Hornady stuff typically shoots pretty lights out and

there's a local shop I go to when I'm working here in Ca and they had 8lb jugs Superformance, which will work in your 243
I've exhausted everywhere I know to look on the internet. Can you recommend a good powder for the 6mm Rem ? Temp stable and decent velocity and accuracy ? What would you use ?

Move back to the GREAT State of GA and problems with firearms, ammo, reloading SOLVED!