Kahles 525i and NF 5-25 ATACR

shooters

I've got a few dollars to spend and needing another optic for a completed build. Your typical 1000 yard steel gun. I'm so lost on optics lately. I've read and read for months. Just really wanting to try something different than a NF just cause.
Ive had several ATACR over the years. Never an issue. Clear, track, etc without issue.
Don't have the funds for a Tangent, and Zero Comp doesn't currently have an MOA so I'm limited to S&B, March, Minox, NF, Kahles, US Optics, and so on. Really wanting something in the 3-20 range, MOA, a true zero stop and the best glass (subjective) as I can get. I'm really wanting to try a Kahles 318i or 525i.
I also have multiple NX8 4-32's.
My biggest question is I have pretty good access to NF.
With owning ATACR's and NX8's, is there any real advantage to the Kahles over a NF being price is a little more or worth spending the xtra $$$ on a Kahles? If the ATACR and Kahles 525i specifically set up side by side, any optical differences? NOT comparing the 624 please.
OR is there a better option out there under that $3500 Mark? How about the Swaro X5i?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I wouldn't limit myself to a MOA scope, and get a ZCO. I really like the Kahles 525i, but from what I've looked at, they went backwards optically from the 624i.
I do love my S&B, but the PM II is getting dated at this point.

I wouldn't limit myself to a MOA scope, and get a ZCO. I really like the Kahles 525i, but from what I've looked at, they went backwards optically from the 624i.
I do love my S&B, but the PM II is getting dated at this point.

Not to correct you, but I'm pretty sure it's the opposite. I think the 525i and 318i are leaps over the 624 except eye box got a little tighter.
As far as ZCO, he said they would be releasing an MOA wry soon! Not sure if that meant here in 2021 or within a few years but I can say for sure everything I own will go down the road and a ZCO will event be on everything. Thanks for the help. I've seen S&B seems to be getting behind. Thanks TXB

Nope, To my eyes the 525i isn't as good optically as the 624i. I was going to buy one until I looked through one.

I recently bought a Delta Stryker 4.5-30x56 scope, and while it's not a premier top shelf scope, it's not very far behind them and $1900 cheaper. The scopes coming out of LOW factory in Japan are getting really good competing with the big boy's.

Wondering how or if the following is a better hunting scope over the other and how they compare glass wise, tracking, overall build etc.

Kahles 525i
Swaro 5xi

I would say the quality is probably real close to the same. The biggest difference is gonna be the Kahles is only available FFP and the X5 is only available SFP. So depending on which one you want it's kinda gonna make your decision for you. IMO some of the Kahles reticles aren't ideal for hunting in FFP.

To my eyes the glass in both is better then a ATACR. But I would take the durability of ATACR over the X5 for sure. I had a X5 that had some zero shift. Sent it in and got it back a few months later and it was good. Sold it to a buddy and I guess the parallax just went out on it. So I don't think the X5 is as bulletproof as an ATACR.

I would say the quality is probably real close to the same. The biggest difference is gonna be the Kahles is only available FFP and the X5 is only available SFP. So depending on which one you want it's kinda gonna make your decision for you. IMO some of the Kahles reticles aren't ideal for hunting in FFP.

To my eyes the glass in both is better then a ATACR. But I would take the durability of ATACR over the X5 for sure. I had a X5 that had some zero shift. Sent it in and got it back a few months later and it was good. Sold it to a buddy and I guess the parallax just went out on it. So I don't think the X5 is as bulletproof as an ATACR.

Well shoot. That's not good news. I was considering the X5i because I was able to get it considerably cheaper than the Kahles. I guess I'll bite the bullet on the Kahles. Once again, same goes with the ATaCr. I can get an Atacr much cheaper than the Kahles so is the Kahles worth the xtra $900 over the NF? I've owned so many NF over the years, just really wanted to try something else, but with my limited hands on, I don't know if there is any real differences between the ATACR and the Kahles 525i.

I'm not saying all the X5's are bad. I had a 3-18 that was bulletproof tracked perfect and took some pretty good falls hunting and never shifted zero even a 1/4 minute. I'm not sure if the other one was just a bad sample or what. I know some of the Kahles k624 had some tracking issues but you don't hear many problems with the k525. But you also don't hear many problems with X5's I think I'm just unlucky. I can't help but think the internals in the X5 and K series have to share some similarities.

I have a Kahles 3-18 and to me it is better than the ATACR, but everyone is different. If you can get behind them both I would suggest that and then make your decision. If you are going for light the March is the way to go, I have a friend that just got one and it is every bit as good as my Kahles.

Anyone else have any comparisons between the Kahles 525i and the Atacr 5-25? Really more concerned about the optical side. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts