Just wondering how many know the difference between calibre and cartridge?

Wild Bill G

I do not want this to come across as snarky but it seems several on here have a confusion between the 2. The calibre is the ize of the bore of your rifle for example .308,.264,.284 and so on. Cartridge is the chambering of the rifle or case that we load in our given rifle. For example 300 Winchester Magnum,6.5x55 Sweedish Mauser and so on. There are times it can get confusing for instance the 308 Winchester is often shortened to just 308. I hope this will help some and if someone can clear it up a little better please do so .

Good point !!!!!

Sounds right to me
But I am often surprised at how many confuse the two.

I recently had a person tell me that he had a 300 Winchester magnum in a AR 10 that would not allow the bolt to close. When he said that they would not fit in the magazine . I told him that he probably had a 300 Winchester "SHORT'' magnum. He called me later and said the guy at the store said "They are all 30 caliber and should fit". (Scary)

Lots of AR lowers are now marked 'universal' and will take many different uppers but the owner needs to know what cartridge and caliber it is to avoid a serious mistake.

With so many different calibers in the same basic case/cartridge, a person MUST know the difference.

J E CUSTOM

Good point !!!!!

Sounds right to me

I recently had a person tell me that he had a 300 Winchester magnum in a AR 10 that would not allow the bolt to close. When he said that they would not fit in the magazine . I told him that he probably had a 300 Winchester "SHORT'' magnum. He called me later and said the guy at the store said "They are all 30 caliber and should fit". (Scary)

Lots of AR lowers are now marked 'universal' and will take many different uppers but the owner needs to know what cartridge and caliber it is to avoid a serious mistake.

With so many different calibers in the same basic case/cartridge, a person MUST know the difference.

J E CUSTOM

Yep, sad but true! Similarly, a few years ago, I was at my local Scheels store when a customer walked in and demanded to talk directly to a manager because he was apparently sold the wrong ammunition for his pistol and it does not fit in his magazine; he has a .45 ACP but asked the sales person for a .45 LC. Go figure!

Who cares if people interchange cartridge, caliber, chambering etc?

You really want someone saying they own a .270 Winchester center-fire instead of just a .270? It doesn't make a bit of difference so unbunch your panties and go shooting!

Good point !!!!!

Sounds right to me

J E CUSTOM
I have a similar story, someone told my brother that a 300 Rum will shoot everything 30 cal. I ask him if they meant you could load it down and basically shoot 30-06 velocity or load it up to magnum velocity. He said nope, the guy told him it will shoot everything.
My brother doesn't share the same passion that I do with rifles. So I had a very difficult time convincing him this was impossible. I still don't think I got the point across.

Caliber is the little explosive thing you put at the bottom of your bullet that makes it go boom.

Cartridge is the belt that hold machine gun bullets together.

Gosh amateur hour here...:D

I don't think that was a snarky comment at all. I am glad you brought this topic up. I would consider this a teaching or mentoring moment. With so many new shooters coming onto the seen now it is important that those who know, share. good on you!!

Adam32 it makes a world of difference just go load your 30-06 with a 300RUM cartridge and come back and tell us how it works. Seeinhg as both cartridges are .308 calibre you should have no issue at all.
Bowkill02 thank you I to believe that most of the time I read the mix up it is new comers to the sport. It is the job of those with knowledge to teach them what they need to know. When I joined here I thought I had a lot of knowledge but have learned something just about everytime I am on here.

Its a trend Wild Bill. When I was growing up I learned how to shoot and clean and understand firearms. then I moved on to reloading, and after many years of hunting and shooting and hand loading I decided to have my first custom rifle built. Now it sometimes seems like that timeline is reversed, and the focus is more on ultimate tacticool guns and the latest and greatest gear before homework and knowledge and understanding. I rarely say much on here but that doesn't mean I'm not reading the posts. ive asked tons of questions from the members on this board and will never discourage anyone from doing the same. there is a a great group of guys here with a wealth of knowledge. keep the info rolling.

Adam32 it makes a world of difference just go load your 30-06 with a 300RUM cartridge and come back and tell us how it works. Seeinhg as both cartridges are .308 calibre you should have no issue at all.
Bowkill02 thank you I to believe that most of the time I read the mix up it is new comers to the sport. It is the job of those with knowledge to teach them what they need to know. When I joined here I thought I had a lot of knowledge but have learned something just about everytime I am on here.

Well if you want to get technical, you should be calling it "chamber" not cartridge or caliber. Since you can have a .243 win and a .243 Ackley which use the same cartridge and are the same caliber but a different chamber...

I have to ask you do understand the difference between caliber and cartridge right. In fact the 243 AI is a cartridge you can chamber your rifle to if you wish to do so. However a 243AI cartridge will not fit in your 243 Winchesterbut the opposite way will likeley work. There are a lot of more knowledgable people on here than me please listen to them before you get yourself hurt. By this I mean chambering the wrong cartridge into a rifle of a different chambering.

......I do not want this to come across as snarky.........

I believe you, but it's tough to do.

Too often in this medium good information gets undermined by focus on a grammar error. I know the difference between clip, magazine, you, your, and you're, but make a mistake anyway.

The loss of old fashioned gun shops to online sales, and Wal-mart's is an unfortunate fact.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.