Just two rifles...what calibers? varmints to bears

Sorry if I seems like I'm being stubborn and not taking into account the suggestions, the reason for that is mostly because about 80% of them are for calibers that are not listed in the link I provided in the original post.

The difficulties of getting gunsmith work done is the whole reason I wanted to go with Blaser, so rechambering a factory offering, while possible, is something I'd like to try and avoid.

If I could easily rechamber, I would probably go for a .338 Norma, which has been a caliber I really like for a long time, but then, if I could easily get gunsmith work done, without having to wait a year, or two, and pay the same as what a Blaser costs, then I would have done that years ago.

As @Mudrunner and I have proposed before in your other thread (you should read the answering posts!), it'll be no difficulty at all getting your guns precisely rechambered in Austria. lightbulb It's not far from Italy and after some phonecalls you could even send your rifles there. "Custom - city" is Ferlach, but you'll find a whole bunch of other very capable gunsmiths too.

Last edited:
One is all you need but if you insist on 2 go with the 5.56/223 and the 264WM. If you choose one go with the 264WM. 85gr HP at 3830fps and the 160gr PPSN at 3261fps for Bear and Moose. With a ton of other bullet weights in between.

10714504_10203399060352291_8150381030581189868_o.jpg

Here is what I run, and it's worked well for me. It covers me from top to bottom.

6SLR - you can run light bullets up to 105grn for Varmint/coyote/deer

338 Norma Mag - for anything bigger.

xdeano

That sounds like a very sensible combination. Being in Europe you need a caliber that is easily found, the 6.5 Swede fits that perfectly. Another would be the 7 x 57. I have a 6.5 x 55 Swede and like it a lot. As long as you choose your projectile carefully it will shoot very accurately everything from rabbits, as long as you dont expect to keep anything (detonating them is very entertaining) to medium size deer. The .338 Win Mag I've shot but not hunted with. An acquaintance used his in the Northern Territory to knock down buffalo, he said it was very effective. I have seen first hand how accurate this caliber is and was well impressed.
Good luck. By the by have you considered the Browning Maral. It is as ugly as a hat full of arseholes but is accumulating a good reputation here. gun)

I have 2 Blaser R8s and I love them both. One has a Jaeger stock and the other has a Professional stock. The Pro stock is my go-to rifle in wet conditions and the Jaeger for all other hunts. My calibers are .243 win for varmints, .300 win mag for medium game and .375 H&H for anything big or dangerous. So far this set up has worked well for me.

I have two R93s. IMO if you are including a third barrel (heavy) then the most logical two calibers for the Blaser system would be 6.5x55 and 300 Wm. The 300 with select heavy bullets is a better long range caliber than the 338wm. The 300gr .338 bullets beat the heavy .30cal. but you need something like a 338lapue or 338rum to drive them. My .02

If you want to go with system - rifles like Blaser, Merkel Helix, Mauser 03, Mannlicher Luxus or what's however, and you stay in Europe you should use mainly European calibres.

7x57 is unfortunately not any longer common around here, only its rimmed sister 7x57R. 6,5 calibres aren't popular at all on the continent itself, it's only us up in the cold North who still have a big fan community.

A suitable and good combo would be 7 x 64 Brenneke (280 AI) and 8 x 68S (300WM).
If you are doing reloading you should take a deep look at the 8,5 x 63 Reb. It's a fantastic allround .338 cal. cartridge moving bulletweights from 154gr - 300gr. Very suitable for LR, and all main producers deliver rifles chambered for it.

I thought the idea behind Blasers what one action multiple barrel/trigger+mags.

but

Taking into consideration, your location, local game.

Yup 6.5x55 and 338WM

The more I think about this, if I were restricted by some stupid law only allowing ownership of 2 rifles... Both would be customs built on Defiance Deviant actions, and they would be .260 AI and .300 Ackley Improved Magnum. Both with Rem Sendero/Varmint contour stainless fluted 5R cut-rifled barrels.

7x64 and 7 Rem mag. I would avoid the .338 win mag like the plague if I wanted any sort of "long range" performance.

My other combo choice would be .308 and .300 Weatherby mag (for LR work).

I like common calibers for reloading and standardization purposes personally.