Just two rifles...what calibers? varmints to bears

I'm kinda rethinking my original selection, I had the 375 rum and 6.5 creed I think. I love the 375 RUM but if I'm gonna go big, it's gonna be a 375 Cheytac and never worry about it. Then I was thinking something small and fast like the 204 ruger, those 2 would cover everything, almost...Crap now I need a mid-weight big game hunting round/rifle :D
Chris
Benchmark

I am really disappointed in myself for "not" reading through all of these posts (as I love history) until now! And, have found myself appalled that I had not responded to this post…..I hate not accepting a gift offered! 😁

Assuming (something not recommended) that all of us hand load , prayers and condolences for those that do not….. why 2 cartridges, when one (1) can suffice?

As long as extended, long range shooting in a Prarie Dog town isn't involved……I've had these requirements covered since 1990! Yes, I'm a "wuss", and my accuracy begins to

Cast bullets can be used for small game and varmints out to around 200 yards (much closer ranges so head shots are possible for small edible game) and large varmint, small big game at closer ranges. Expanding, high bc bullets at relatively high mv's for all game from muzzle to the distance at which bullet expansion is deemed questionable…..in my case, around 950 yards (200 yards beyond where I am comfortable shooting big game animals). All of this in a rifle that is obviously accurate and light enough to be carried all day long on a hunt….including the rare sheep or goat hunt!

Do it all with one rifle/cartridge……most will say blasphemy! Some will say, where's the fun in that? I've "never" been accused of being fun! Though, I do love a challenge! 😉 memtb

Addendum: When bears (large bears) are brought into the equation…..I automatically go to a "stopping cartridge", and my cartridge covers that adequately! Most any NA big game animal can be dispatched with a 22 LR….given perfect conditions! 😉

Last edited:
Although I currently own neither, I'd go with a 338 Win and a 270. Both are wonderfully accurate and at least the 270 ammo can be had just about anywhere. In fact if I could only keep one rifle it would be the 270. I just had my wore out 270 rebarreled to a 257 Robts. But I'm on the hunt for another 270 in a light mountain rifle.