Just Starting Out....Questions

Burrdock,
JMO, but I think you'll get better results, from even the factory Remington Scirocco's, if you try an independent, padded front rest and a rear sand bag, and concentrate on your form. Not to dis you or the Lead Sled but I don't think it will "return to battery" everytime like most think. It's was designed to tame recoil not to shoot one hole groups. JohnnyK.

i believe yourt right about the lead sled. i always seem to shoot better from an independant....i tought about switching back the other day.

Burrdock, just a couple humble suggestions for you. before going and spending money on the rifle, could you have someone else with more shooting experience shoot the Sendero? this may offer some insight into the capable accuracy of the rifle with this ammo. Possibly the rifle simply doesnt shoot this particular ammo well or will need some work to get it shoot. A more experienced shooter could also coach you for a better shooting routine which will improve your accuracy with the rifle over time. Proper practice is important for consistency. poor practice simply will create bad habits that will be difficult to break.

I have yet to find a Sendero, old or new that would not shoot at least a few types of factory ammo decently. As mentioned, handloading consistent rounds that are matched (worked up) for the rifle will definately be something you should look into. This will be one step in getting the absolute maximum accuracy and consistency out of the rifle. Trigger tuning, skim bedding the HS stock or full bedding job on the replacement stock and other mods will squeeze every last ounce of accuracy out of it, but nothing beats good practice to take full advantage of any and all mods. JMHO but I would learn to shoot the rifle to the best of your capabilities and the rifle capabilities before dumping a bunch of money. take care

Cody

Forget the gun for now!

Wait until the barrel burns out and then go with accurizing it when you rebarrel.

Spend the money on a good scope and reloading equipment, bullets and range fees to shoot in some matchs to get some experience.

BH

Burrdock, just a couple humble suggestions for you. before going and spending money on the rifle, could you have someone else with more shooting experience shoot the Sendero? this may offer some insight into the capable accuracy of the rifle with this ammo. Possibly the rifle simply doesnt shoot this particular ammo well or will need some work to get it shoot. A more experienced shooter could also coach you for a better shooting routine which will improve your accuracy with the rifle over time. Proper practice is important for consistency. poor practice simply will create bad habits that will be difficult to break.

I have yet to find a Sendero, old or new that would not shoot at least a few types of factory ammo decently. As mentioned, handloading consistent rounds that are matched (worked up) for the rifle will definately be something you should look into. This will be one step in getting the absolute maximum accuracy and consistency out of the rifle. Trigger tuning, skim bedding the HS stock or full bedding job on the replacement stock and other mods will squeeze every last ounce of accuracy out of it, but nothing beats good practice to take full advantage of any and all mods. JMHO but I would learn to shoot the rifle to the best of your capabilities and the rifle capabilities before dumping a bunch of money. take care

Cody

Thank you for the suggestions I really appreciate them

You are getting 1'' groups with factory ammo at times. You definitely have a great factory rifle and I want to echo the other replies about handloading for maximum accuracy. If you are going for ultimate accuracy you really don't know what you have until you reload your own ammo tailored to your rifle!!!!!!!

I had purchased a used rifle that shot 1" groups with factory ammo. After taking the time to produce high quality match ammo the group sizes shrunk to .25" inch groups. .25" groups out of my 7mm-08 is one ragged hole :) I definitely didn't change anything in the rifle after that as I didn't want to spend alot of money and screw up my rifle.

I would spend the money on glass, then a mc millan stock or equivalent that you like. Custom reloading requires an FFL so not many around.

Last edited:
In order of importance to me:

The most bang for your buck is always going to be in the trigger. That's where the rubber meets the road and a good trigger job or drop in trigger can shrink your groups in half for less than $200.00.

After that I guess you need to find a good hand load that our rifle likes. I don't remember reading whether or not you were shooting factory but even mediocre handloads beat good factory loads hands down!

While doing all that, keep your barrel clean and free of fowling.

Just work on one thing at a time though. You'll get a lot of good advice on here. I tried to give you the best bang for the buck. You bought a good rifle but they don't have the best factory trigger. Fortunately, everyone and their cousin makes drop in parts for that platform and you can improve as you go. It shouldn't cost you a lot to make that rifle shoot in the 1/2 minute club.

Good shootin bro!

Tom

Some good factory stuff to try would be, Federal Gold Medal Match, and Black Hills. Black Hills is a top producer of consistent production loads used by many to shoot competitively.

Personally I would wait for the stock to come in before you really get serious about accurizing. The new stock may offer the accuracy you are looking for.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.