Just some pictures

Buffalobob

Just to get things on the road here are a few pictures.

Mixed Bag - the shotgun is an old Stevens 311 in 410 bought out of the Sears Catalog for $66.00 back in 1958. I made the money raising cotton. Boy was that hard work. Only the squirrel was killed with the 410. The doves were shot with a 20 gauge.

Dove1.jpg

Dinner- There is a difference between shooting birds for fun and killing you dinner. If they are too dumb to fly, then just shot their heads off.

Chikin.jpg

Fresh crow is best fried and served with biscuits and pan gravy.

2crows2.jpg

I used to have a Springer Spaniel and she loved chukars and pheasants. Now I just hunt alone. Ithaca SKB 20 guage about 35 years old

P1010006.jpg

Some days I get skunked and then dinner is a little less tasty.

spam.jpg

Nice birds. On one of my first Montana hunts I was just amazed to count 100 pheasants in a field.

Nice birds. On one of my first Montana hunts I was just amazed to count 100 pheasants in a field.

just drove from Mandan via Dickenson,Killdeer(with a side trip back into the canyons),Watford city Williston, back to Watford, then down to Belfield and 94 back to Mandan. Thousands of pheasants were seen. just now looking between the houses accross the street in the field that starts off there back yard i can count about 5
they are thick as flies.
Norm

I've literally seen hundreds of birds bust out of a single 80-acre plot... this is no joke. It makes actually shooting them harder because you can't pick one out.

Thick as flies is one way to say it.

BB, That old Stevens brings back a few memories! Had one in 20ga that did it all,Partridge too Deer. Great little gun.
We have quite a few pheasants here in Iowa also,but I've never seen the concentrations like they have in SD. Has to be seen to be believed.

first year i went to sd i asked permission from an old farmer and he said you can go as long as you shoot the hens and the rooster's. the draw in his fied was about 30 acres and i would bet it had thousands of birds in it, it was december and cover was scarce and we shot grouse chickens and roosters out of there. i still cant believe what i saw.

HOLY SMOKES, NO DOGS?

I guess I'll have to rectify this thread with a few great dogs in picture, those being German Shorthair Pointers OK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.