Just picked up a Thompson Center Pro Hunter XT.

Wild Bill G

As the title says I just bought a TC Pro Hunter. My question is how do these rifles stack up against or hunting rifles. Are they a strong enough action. Will they shoot good groups and so on any advice will be great. PS I think I got a pretty good deal at 475 dollars. New here it would have been around 1100 and this one came with a scope mounted.

What caliber are you talking about and what will you be hunting with it? Is this the TC Encore Pro Hunter or their bolt action rifle?

Right now it is in 223 and it is the eencore pro hunter xt. Was looking at a rifle for my son and I so if I can find a 6.5 creedmoore barrel. The trick may be finding barrels here in Alberta. I let my son handle the rifle and it actually looks like it fit him not bad. TC makes alot of barrels for it and there are a number I would like to try as the price seems reasonable.

Look up Bellm tc's. Lots of good info. I've got a bullberry custom 338 win mag barrel I'm trying to sell if you would want to go that big. Kicks like a 308 with the brake on it.

Some barrels shoot good and some are dogs just like any other rifle. They have a very strong action. You can usually have a good custom barrel made for the price of a TC factory barrel which is a crap shoot as to accuracy. Match Grade Machines (MGM) is a good place to go to have a custom barrel made. Look them up on the web. I have a T/C Contender 14" Pistol barrel in 30-30AI from MGM and it is a Shilen SS barrel and it is a real shooter. Less than 1 1/2 inch 5 shots average at 200 yards with only 8X max power on a pistol scope.

Going with the custom jobs you guys have mentioned sounds good. There is only one issue I don;t think most will or can ship to Canada. I will most likely have to find shops up here that deal with the encore line.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.