Just In: "The Truth About Wolves in the West"

thankfully we dont have wolves in WV...yet...but i feel you on the big cat issues, we have seen them for years, and the DNR has called us all idiots, said maybe it was a bobcat, what horse****! ive seen bobcats, ive even killed one, and i can assure you that what i saw coon hunting not a mile from my house would eat a bobcat for a snack!! we have also been overrun with coyotes, and since then i have seen 3 foxes in as many years, and there are 4 know fox dens on mine and my neighbor's property, all have been empty for quite some time.
i have a theory about all this animal trouble, bring the price of fur back up to where it used to be and your problem will be solved.
just my $.02
Daniel J. Ludwig

Well if the dnr says their coyotes bang bang bang!!!
grin.gif
No problem!!!
grin.gif

Dan,

I'd love to be able to hunt coyote here in Virginia, but they don't seem to have much outlet for it that I've seen. Your state of WV, on the other hand, and where I spent 5 years of my life in university, has plenty of it, and wild boars, too, from what I understand
tongue.gif

Was running at the gym the other day and I looked up to one of the TV monitors to see a local news team covering a story in the metropolitan Detroit area about how someone found a dead deer up in a tree. It was draped over a branch about 10-12 feet up in EXACTLY the same manner as I've seen leopards do in the African film documentaries I've watched.

I quickly tried to turn my headphones to pick up the audio, but only heard a truly uselessly stupid explanation about how the dead deer got there; something like Elvis clones in outer space put it there.

ATH - by your post it looks like you live in Ann Arbor? Did you see this half-grown cougar in the Ann Arbor area?!? Don't need to tell me exactly where you live/saw it, but could you just tell me what region you saw it in. Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Here in Alberta, Canada we have an open season on wolves virtually year round. If you're a rancher who keeps livestock or if you have permission from a rancher then you may hunt wolf, without a license year round.

The average hunter on all other lands may hunt wolf from the first opening of the big game season (Some areas opening in mid September) until May 31st. There are no bag limits or other restrictions when hunting wolves.

We have a healthy deer, moose and elk population and it's my belief that hunters who also take the opportunity to shoot wolves contribute to our healthy deer and elk population.

Having said that, the number of hunters up here is declining and the latest estimate is that our population of 5,000 wolves is increasing. Also the cougar had it's status upgraded to a "game" animal from "vermin" and so that is putting a bit of a damper on lion hunting up here.

The really big problem we have are Eastern Liberals imposing gun control on us Westerners.

Cheers,
Rubber Ducky

yo duck:i sure wish i would of bought the t-shirt they had in edmonton when they were catching your wolves and sending them to idaho.wolf has on hawaian shirt,sign on his luggage says"heading for idaho",sign on plane door says "room for one more".**** i wish that plane would of crashed.you can't beleave the damage that has been done to our game herds by the 400+ jumbo wolves we got from up north.(count may actually be higher now).make sure if you shoot one up north you have all your paper work together.My shooting pardner mentioned he got two wolves in the wrong spot and the next day the feds were knocking on the door.they were actually ****ed off when they found out he got them in red deer.
frown.gif

Hi LarryJ;

The only reason the Feds would get upset would be if you shot the wolves in one of the National Parks. Also you have to be careful about shooting within city limits. Other than that, we can go out whenever we please and blast us some wolves.

Still, Hunter numbers are falling in this province, which of course means more deer, moose and elk, if we can keep the population of Wolves in check.

Cheers,
Rubber Ducky

I hunted in north central Idaho two weeks ago,in the bitteroots,everytime you saw a moose track or an elk track their was a wolf track right behind them. You could see it in guides eyes that he was losing his way of life. He ask me to wack'em and say nothing.
Ten years ago Jim Shell (guide in Wyoming) said the introduction of the wolf in WYOMING was the begining of the end.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts