Just How Good is the 25-06???

muleythumper

Let me first state that I am not a reloader. I like the .264s for their mild recoil and excellent ballistics, but factory ammo is scarce in my parts, and very limited when it IS found.

However, I see tons of 25-06 ammo, in various set-ups. Using 115-120 grain loads on whitetail/mule deer, pronghorn, and possibly elk if the conditions are right, what may I expect from the 25-06 in terms of accuracy, terminal performance, etc...??

Thanks!

Let me first state that I am not a reloader. I like the .264s for their mild recoil and excellent ballistics, but factory ammo is scarce in my parts, and very limited when it IS found.

However, I see tons of 25-06 ammo, in various set-ups. Using 115-120 grain loads on whitetail/mule deer, pronghorn, and possibly elk if the conditions are right, what may I expect from the 25-06 in terms of accuracy, terminal performance, etc...??

Thanks!

I have killed a lot of critters with 25-06 I love it. I killed an elk with 100 ttsx and they didn't do so well but with the 115-120gr it would be fine at moderate range I think. I use my 25-06 for coyotes mostly bit great on deer and antelope

Alot of folks underestimate the .257 calibers. But the fact remains like all cartridges, when used inside of their respective distances and abilities, they will flat-out amaze you for deer and antelope sized game. I've taken numerous deer with my .257 Wby Mag, and will be hunting alot this year with my .25-06 Ackley Improved that I've been sourcing parts for for a while now. Gun is complete now, minus a trip to the smith for truing "balancing and blueprinting". :D Then she'll be ready to wreak havic on my local whitetail population with the Berger 115 VLD's.

Also, the Nosler 110 Accubonds perform flawlessly on deer and deer sized game.

The trick I've found is shoot them just behind the should in that divot (dimple) behind the shohkder and you will get both lungs and the heart, ruin very little meat, and will get a clean pass-through and a very quick and humane kill. That's what I do, and I haven't lost one yet.

Thanks!
It's adequate but it will never perform as well as the .260 Rem, 6.5 rem mag, 264wm, 6.5-06, or 6.5x284.

You just have a much better selection of 6.5mm bullets and better case capacity and design in several of the above.

I shot a Ruger #1 in 25-06 for many years and loved it for coyotes, deer, and pronghorn but I would not take another one over any of the above 6.5's.

I agree with you, but the OP said he doesn't reload. Finding 6.5-284 ammo on the ready is not likely to happen.

He said he had an abundance of .25-06 ammo locally.

I think everyone needs a good 1/4-bore.

I agree with you, but the OP said he doesn't reload. Finding 6.5-284 ammo on the ready is not likely to happen.

He said he had an abundance of .25-06 ammo locally.

I think everyone needs a good 1/4-bore.
I don't have a good selection of any of my pet ammo locally but as long as I have an internet connection and UPS can find me I just don't consider that to be a problem.

If I'm buying factory I always find one that works well and buy it in bulk and then I have no worries.

I shot out to 800yds on coyotes and out to 450 on Prairie Dogs, with the Ruger #1 with good accuracy but there's just a better selection of high BC bullets in the 6.5's.

For economics sake and great long range ability it's just hard as hell to beat the .260 Rem. The Federal Fusion is cheap, and has shot very well for me in the AR 260 and it's a great bullet for deer/hogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.