Just had this forwarded to me

Mikiedem

Subject: FW: Wolves in Idaho

FYI….!

I'm mad. And not just a little mad either. Three of the best bear hounds I've ever been lucky enough to own, were killed by federally funded terrorists. Wolves did this while I was bear hunting scarcely ten miles from my house. My dogs were ran down and stretched from end to end. Torn apart with slashing teeth, their skin ripped off in chunks and ate, along with their guts, bones and every other piece they could rip apart before I was able to get to the scene of this ugly crime and run them away. I could smell the dogs before I found them. I could smell the blood and the guts and the death. Ruby had been killed first, there wasn't much left of her. A bare spine was all that held together her front and her hind end. They'd chewed many of her ribs off, down to the backbone. As for Candy, they'd only just begun on her, tearing into her side and chest cavity, guts and organs pulled out onto the ground. They hadn't had a chance to eat much of her before I arrived. She was gruesomely contorted, silently conveying the horrible way she died by the teeth of those wolves. I found Josey 700 yards away. The wolves had tore him up really bad but he was still alive. Although he was rushed to the vet, he died of his wounds. So there it is. All of this took place in no more than fifteen or twenty minutes from the time the wolves came in on my dogs while they were trailing a bear. I couldn't have gotten there any quicker.

As I sat beside my two dead hounds on the hillside I looked out over the beauty of the mountains and the bright blue, cloudless sky. I could hear birds singing and the rustling of the wind as it rolled through the pines. It was a beautiful day but the wolves had put a bloody stain on the land and made these mountains ugly to me. In the Clearwater country of Idaho, where I grew up hunting and running hounds, there is now an uneasiness. All the land can feel it and I can feel it too. This whole scene sickened me and galvanized my deep, deep disdain for the wolf.

Some people seem to think that houndsmen treat their hounds more like a tool than a dog. I assure you that this is not the case. These dogs, that the wolves ate, were part of my family. From the time they were born, they spent a lot of time in the house, sometimes sleeping on the couch or maybe on the dogbed beside my recliner in the living room. I couldn't move without them making sure they could come along with me. They were glad to see me arrive home from work, and they didn't like it when I left them home. These hounds were just the same as anyone else's pet, like your pet, a true part of the family. These dogs didn't deserve to die in such a gruesome way, being torn apart and eaten while they were still alive. No dog does.

What really makes me angry is those who would say that it's a risk that all houndsman take when they unclip the dogs; that by turning our hounds loose, we are putting them in harms way and by doing so we somehow value our dogs less than other dog owners. Houndsman, and the the hounds we hunt with, share the same fundamental yearning in our soul to pursue the wild places. You can't force a hound to chase after a bear or cougar, it's been bred into them for thousands of years. We all realize that there are many inherent dangers when it comes to bear or cougar hunting, however, prior to 1995, having our hounds killed by wolves was not one of those dangers. It was then that this exotic species was introduced to Idaho. The wolves are killing these dogs only because they are occupying the same space. And, frankly these wolves shouldn't be in these mountains in the first place. My dogs are dead, and the fault doesn't lie with the hound or the houndsmen. It lies squarely with the wolves who killed and ate my dogs, and with those who supported, and continue to support, the introduction of this exotic species into an area where it had never roamed before. Never roamed, because the timber wolf that inhabited this area many years ago was a much smaller sub-species than the Canadian grey that we are now plagued with.

Shane Richards - Headquarters, Idaho.
This incident occured on September 19th, 2011 about ten miles northeast of Headquarters, Idaho on Deadhorse Mountain.
mail
Poor Ruby, the wolves ate her alive.
mail
I ran the wolves off of Candy before they could eat too much of

I feel his/your pain, especially after seeing the damage done and death dealt to livestock from coyotes on rare occasion. Coyote damage is really not all that common with large stock like cattle; but when the wolves get here, and they will eventually get here in Eastern Wyoming, I fully expect to see alot more of this kinda thing.

You are absolutely right that these government funded terrorist are not the ones that were originally native to the lower Rockies, and the plains wolf was even smaller still than the timber wolf. I was told that the plains wolf was the only one that was over here in this area. Even those were erradicated for a reason, and things like this happening was probably the biggest reason of all.

It's fairly well known that wolves will run down and kill coyotes just because they are competition, so it doesn't suprise me to hear that domestic dogs are no longer safe either.

This is a really bad situation. Dogs are truly a mans best friend. Every big game hunter and rancher needs to kill at least one of those **** wolves!!

Last edited:
New services offered by myself beginning in spring of 2012.

This is a new start up department of the company. Oh, the company is me.

In addition to high tech support of farmer/producers of high value crops throughout the Northwest the following will be added. (may have to launch a completely separate company as Randa provides great services and pays the bills. Really wouldn't want it shut down for any reason:rolleyes:)

The business card will read. "Have Gun Will Travel" You point 'em out I'll shoot 'em.
All services Prough Boughno - meaning fer free. Said company will accept all liability. (Can't get hair off a toad!:))

Said in the heat of the moment but still a **** good idealightbulb

New services offered by myself beginning in spring of 2012.

This is a new start up department of the company. Oh, the company is me.

In addition to high tech support of farmer/producers of high value crops throughout the Northwest the following will be added. (may have to launch a completely separate company as Randa provides great services and pays the bills. Really wouldn't want it shut down for any reason:rolleyes:)

The business card will read. "Have Gun Will Travel" You point 'em out I'll shoot 'em.
All services Prough Boughno - meaning fer free. Said company will accept all liability. (Can't get hair off a toad!:))

Said in the heat of the moment but still a **** good idealightbulb

Can I be your first employee? Or maybe start my own company. With your permission of course!!!

Sorry to get off track. I have a freind that lost his 2 dogs the same way. Sorry this happened to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts