Just Got my Kampfeld Customs Rifle!!!

We were the first people in the US to flute barrels. We made serious BR barrels and shot competition every week and won. We did this to make weight on varmint wgt guns so we could make sporter weight requirments. We soon found that when air gauged the bubble moved up every time the head crossed a flute. This means the bore opens up, to the novice this means nothing but to those know better about bore size to bullet diameter and accuracy it means everything......we stopped fluting years ago and it invalidated our barrel guarantee.
it is my opinion that you should start your own thread about this instead of hijacking OPs thread about the new rifle he is excited to have. The lack of manners this has shown is impressive.

I agree. It is a hunter which is what I will do with this gun. I backpack a lot and lighter is better. I will put a lighter scope on later on, but I really like the NF products.
I'd leave the NXS personally! Nothing like being confident in your equipment when you go to take a shot.

it is my opinion that you should start your own thread about this instead of hijacking OPs thread about the new rifle he is excited to have. The lack of manners this hasm pleased shown is impressive.
I am pleased he is thrilled with his new gun as I would be too. However I was only offering factual information to those uninitiated such as yourself.

I just received my custom 6.5PRC from Karl today. It is a beauty. Defiance Deviant Ultralight Action, Brux 24" twist fluted barrel in 1:8 twist. McMillan Hunter with Forearm rail and Decelerator pad. Trigger tech trigger set to 2.5#. Hawkins bottom metal milled to fit a Wyatts box, spring and follower. Bolt fluted to match barrel topped with his Hunter fluted bolt knob. Two tone cerakote bolt and barrel/receiver and matching stock coating. Topped with a NF 3.5-15x50 with NF Ultralight rings. Weighs 7.4 lbs bare and 9.10 lbs with NF. Can't wait to get to the range and see how she shoots.
What contour barrel did you go with? Vary nice!

I just received my custom 6.5PRC from Karl today. It is a beauty. Defiance Deviant Ultralight Action, Brux 24" twist fluted barrel in 1:8 twist. McMillan Hunter with Forearm rail and Decelerator pad. Trigger tech trigger set to 2.5#. Hawkins bottom metal milled to fit a Wyatts box, spring and follower. Bolt fluted to match barrel topped with his Hunter fluted bolt knob. Two tone cerakote bolt and barrel/receiver and matching stock coating. Topped with a NF 3.5-15x50 with NF Ultralight rings. Weighs 7.4 lbs bare and 9.10 lbs with NF. Can't wait to get to the range and see how she shoots.
Gorgeous rig. I hope it shoots half as good as it looks and gives you years of enjoyment.

Mr. Shadowwalker Sir:
it would be an interesting thread to show the difference in accuracy between a fluted barrel
and a smooth barrel, and any other variance between the two.
That aside one does have to give praise and credit to a lovely piece-first rate components. First
rate smithing. Here's hoping that as time passes even his grandchildren will come to
appreciate and admire this piece.
HAPPY HUNTING

I can't say enough about Karl in my few interactions with him. He fluted a barrel for me for my 30 nosler build. I shipped on a Monday it was on my door step the next Monday. He is also willing to take on a 6.5 SAUM build that others are not as keen on. He is a pleasure to talk to and super knowledgeable. Wish there were more people like him, he's a standup guy! That's a beautiful build!

We were the first people in the US to flute barrels. We made serious BR barrels and shot competition every week and won. We did this to make weight on varmint wgt guns so we could make sporter weight requirments. We soon found that when air gauged the bubble moved up every time the head crossed a flute. This means the bore opens up, to the novice this means nothing but to those know better about bore size to bullet diameter and accuracy it means everything......we stopped fluting years ago and it invalidated our barrel guarantee.

Isn't this why Flutes are put on a barrel before its bored for caliber ?
I'm pretty sure they do this so they can stress relieve the barrel before boring and there are no issues with stress risers or as you mention the bore opening up.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.