Just got my 1st AR

What, you mean people clean those things. I thought they only went to the range and sprayed bullets and brass around the other people on the range. Just kidding. I've owned a couple and my son doesn't know that other styles of rifles exist. Use more lube than you would ever think about using on your bolt gun and you'll be fine. Clean barrel when accuracy starts to diminish.

UOTE="Mark37082, post: 2417390, member: 120066"]
I bought a Ruger SR556 in 2009. I babied it for about a month. No mag dumps and thorough cleaning after each range session. It is a piston AR and needs a periodic cleaning of the gas regulator, put it really runs clean in the action assembly. It still shoots great with unbelievable reliability. I don't baby it anymore. I still spend a few minutes with some CLP and a couple of drops of oil after a range session.
[/QUOTE]
Ditto with same AR. Runs like a clock compared to my other gas tubes.

I think pretty much any break-in routine will work, or none at all. Do what you're comfortable with. I'm not convinced that the actual procedure matters, just that the bore is cleaned frequently for the first 5-10 rounds.

I use Break-Free, a drop on each bearing surface of the BCG, one drop on each side of the hammer pin and the same again at the trigger pin. One drop for each take-down pin detent plunger,.and a drop on each bearing surface of the buffer. I run a single 'stripe' of oil down the buffer spring and smear it around the OD of the spring.

Thanks for ALL of the replies. Some really great info. I spent all morning watching Youtube videos on cleaning and lubrication of the bolt. I did learn to keep the race ways lubed and the bottom of the carrier where the hammer rubs against the carrier lubed.

As for barrel break in. I was just wondering if it was necessary seeing I have to break it open to clean the barrel. But after I tore the gun down today to get familiar with it, it doesn't seem that hard to do. The last two guns I bought new, I did a barrel break in procedure and they do clean alot easier after shooting them.

Oh, I even got a suppressor coming for this gun. First suppressor I have bought. If the ATF allows me to have it. And I know that will change the cleaning process because of how the gases move.

Jason

Last edited:
I can't say enough good about the
Hydra-Fire Roller Cam Pin and going to 3 pound drop in triggers

Other overlooked items for builders is Slick sided uppers without the phony forward assist and side door. Using full auto heavier BCG's. Do your own research, but it's about the best system for higher use guns.

I've tried all the gimmick parts like flat wound quiet springs and drilling out the buffer tube rear air hole bigger diameter to release the compressed air behind the buffer tube for smoother faster operation.

I can't say enough good about the
Hydra-Fire Roller Cam Pin and going to 3 pound drop in triggers

Other overlooked items for builders is Slick sided uppers without the phony forward assist and side door. Using full auto heavier BCG's. Do your own research, but it's about the best system for higher use guns.

I've tried all the gimmick parts like flat wound quiet springs and drilling out the buffer tube rear air hole bigger diameter to release the compressed air behind the buffer tube for smoother faster operation.
So you are a slick sided upper fan. Not worried about about dirt or jams. Not meant to be negative with the comments. Just looking for your point of view and how the gun is being used - target, hunting, etc. I have both so just getting your thoughts on this.

So you are a slick sided upper fan. Not worried about about dirt or jams. Not meant to be negative with the comments. Just looking for your point of view and how the gun is being used - target, hunting, etc. I have both so just getting your thoughts on this.
How often have you actually used the forward assist? Like on a jammed dirty oily bullet that you might have dropped in the dirt? Well as a military person I have pounded my palm to try and get a round in..... It's just better to take a rod and nock the round out. if it's bad don't even try. eject and go. dust covers get loose and loose the clips and you have a *** hanging on the side

Desert Storm vet. We had much better items than that

How often have you actually used the forward assist? Like on a jammed dirty oily bullet that you might have dropped in the dirt? Well as a military person I have pounded my palm to try and get a round in..... It's just better to take a rod and nock the round out. if it's bad don't even try. eject and go. dust covers get loose and loose the clips and you have a *** hanging on the side

Desert Storm vet. We had much better items than that
Correct on me never using the forward assist if I reload correctly, which I do. Dirty shells don't make it into the chamber but then I am not in combat situations. Shell ejects at a different angle but I can live with that and the case necks don't get dings in them with slick sides. Thanks for your thoughts on this. Just curious - did you remove the dust shields from the rifles used in Desert Storm or did the armorers force you to keep them?

First off welcome to America! I'm sure you will never look back on that purchase! Once I bought my first one I couldn't believe what I was missing all along. I wouldn't over think it if I were you, military rifles don't get "broken in" as far as lube just look up CLP (cleaner/lubricant/preservative). You don't need any special cleaners or oils. The only think is you need to look up how to take the bolt carrier completely apart so you can clean inside it. The parts that will actually bind up when it is dirty are inside the bolt carrier group.

I have three slick side uppers very heavy walled. I do think they promote accuracy with their rigidity but these are bench guns I would not have one in a combat situation and don't really even prefer to use them in a hunting situation. I like a forward assist for when things don't go as planned and the shot matters.

Last edited:
I just oil the BCG and the lugs on the bolt. I used motor oil, lightweight (0w) in the winter and regular weight (5w) in the summer.

Last AR armorers course I went to, they suggested the use of motor oil since its designed to work under extreme pressure, heat, and prevent carbon build up.

Well, I just couldn't take it anymore. After reading this thread for a few days I was getting FOMO, so I decided to toss a couple of ARs in the truck and go to the range. One was a new build I just finished about a week or so ago using parts I ordered myself for Christmas, and the other was one I've been tinkering with and upgrading over the last few months.

Both need a good cleaning now! Time to get at it :cool: