Just got my 1st AR

cornchuck

As the title says, I just got my first AR 15. It's a Ruger 5.56 MPR. I have questions about barrel break in and lubrication. I have been shooting bolt action rifles forever. I know that when you get a new rifle, you should break the barrel in with the shoot one and clean for about 5 rounds and increase the shot count until about 60 rounds down the barrel. Do I do same for an AR?

Second question. What do you use for lubing the bolt carrier? Spray it down with something like Rem Oil and wipe it down?

Thank you
Jason

As the title says, I just got my first AR 15. It's a Ruger 5.56 MPR. I have questions about barrel break in and lubrication. I have been shooting bolt action rifles forever. I know that when you get a new rifle, you should break the barrel in with the shoot one and clean for about 5 rounds and increase the shot count until about 60 rounds down the barrel. Do I do same for an AR?

Second question. What do you use for lubing the bolt carrier? Spray it down with something like Rem Oil and wipe it down?

Thank you
Jason
Just like with bolt actions, everyone has an opinion on cleaning an AR. They all work. They are all different. Some run it dry, others you can see lube spitting out of it when the action cycles while they're shooting.

Google how to clean an AR and watch some YouTube videos, but know your application. For a competition or range rifle you plan to clean all the time, running it lubed up is fine. For something to be used in the dust and dirt, some like to run it dry and clean every 500-1000 rounds.

Just find what works for you and have fun with it- good luck!

Thank you
Jason
Barrel Break-in. It has dozens of procedures and opinions.
As far as lubrication. G-96 works great. It was developed for the Aero Space Industry. Works great on metals. It actually bonds to metals.
Also there is a Grease that I have used on the slides of 1911s, AR Bolts, Actions. TW25b Synthetic Gun Grease. I use it sparingly. Put it in a syringe to apply.
I have been working on firearms for over 50 years and the worst lubrication I ever saw was "Rem OIl" I took firearm/actions apart that had Rem oil applied for years. Rem Oil turns to almost a solid GOO/glue after years. I would not suggest using it.
Now this is only my "Opinion" so other member please take it as an "Opinion".

Barrel Break-in. It has dozens of procedures and opinions.
As far as lubrication. G-96 works great. It was developed for the Aero Space Industry. Works great on metals. It actually bonds to metals.
Also there is a Grease that I have used on the slides of 1911s, AR Bolts, Actions. TW25b Synthetic Gun Grease. I use it sparingly. Put it in a syringe to apply.
I have been working on firearms for over 50 years and the worst lubrication I ever saw was "Rem OIl" I took firearm/actions apart that had Rem oil applied for years. Rem Oil turns to almost a solid GOO/glue after years. I would not suggest using it.
Now this is only my "Opinion" so other member please take it as an "Opinion".
How long does it take for Rem Oil to turn to almost a solid GOO?

How long does it take for Rem Oil to turn to almost a solid GOO?
My miswording. Should not have used "Almost Solid". Solid is hard. Thick would have better describer it since it was in a "GOO" state in some parts. I worked on quite a few actions (bolts, pumps, semi auto, where the owner said it was sticking-hard to operate and also miss fires. When I took the actions apart and the bolts there was a brown goo inside. I cleaned and the actions/firing pins worked like new. The owners asked me if it was another rifle/shotgun. I said I bet you used Rem Oil. They said ever since they bought the firearm. They never used rem Oil again.
Like I said it is my "Opinion". Just saw a lot of firearms that had Rem Oil used for years and the oil breaks down into a goo like substance.
If you have used Rem Oil, using it now and have good results all the better for you. However, I would thoroughly clean & take apart your actions periodically to make sure that there is not a buildup of oil and a chance for time to breakdown the properties of the oil.

If you have used Rem Oil, using it now and have good results all the better for you. However, I would thoroughly clean & take apart your actions periodically to make sure that there is not a buildup of oil and a chance for time to breakdown the properties of the oil.
I think this last part makes the best statement regardless of the cleaning products or method used. Inspect your tools, folks. Whether or not you clean it is up to you but regular inspection can save a lot of heartburn down the road as it'll be an indication of when it's time to clean or if a potential problem is on the horizon.

I do but not always! I have a couple rifles that have not been fired much, one is a Remington 700 ADL .243 That had not been out since 1992. I had taken it on a Javalina hunt, fired 1 sighting shot, we never caught up to the Javalina, I put it away. It has always been on my mind to get it out and clean it, last month I did. Looked like brand new, it is basically, 1970s and has under 40 rounds. I have another that has been unused for a while, a Ruger M77 Ultralight in .270 also less than 40 rounds, I wiped her down and ran an oiled patch with Rem Oil again. Rifles always stored in gun socks oiled with Rem Oil and Shooters Choice, Mobil 1 or Silkolene grease. I have had those rifles and others for over 30 years, those 2 are not fired anymore and the next time they will likely see daylight is in the auction.

I do but not always! I have a couple rifles that have not been fired much, one is a Remington 700 ADL .243 That had not been out since 1992. I had taken it on a Javalina hunt, fired 1 sighting shot, we never caught up to the Javalina, I put it away. It has always been on my mind to get it out and clean it, last month I did. Looked like brand new, it is basically, 1970s and has under 40 rounds. I have another that has been unused for a while, a Ruger M77 Ultralight in .270 also less than 40 rounds, I wiped her down and ran an oiled patch with Rem Oil again. Rifles always stored in gun socks oiled with Rem Oil and Shooters Choice, Mobil 1 or Silkolene grease. I have had those rifles and others for over 30 years, those 2 are not fired anymore and the next time they will likely see daylight is in the auction.
It's not what is on the outside after you cleaned and wipe down with oil. It is in the inside parts where the Rem Oil seeps into and doesn't get taken apart for many years.
I would LOVE to see some of your rifles especially since they are from the 70s. that Remington and M77 have to be a sight to see since being made 50 years ago and the quality with the blued steel and wood. You should post some pictures and share with us. Alot of rifles these days are chassis and cerakote. Nothing like walnut wood and blued steel!
Thanks
Len & Jill

I am with you! I take good care most of the time! Unfortunately that .243 kept getting put back, I have sold quite a few giving me the ability to finally get them out and give some love. It is funny how you are a young kid and the next you know you are, well not anymore;) I bought the .243 from an elderly gentleman in 1990, his wife had bought it for his birthday 20 years before and he never fired it. The .270 I bought new, maybe 40 years ago. I have sold many nice rifles and pistols lately, just keeping some that I shoot or have had awhile. I have a couple or so new fangled ones too😂 I will shoot you a couple pics in a day or 2.

Barrel break in is the boogie man barrel manufactures came up with or maybe it came from gun magazine writers either way I'm inclined to think it's a fairytale. I like a light machine oil such as Zoom Spout and I run a wet BCG.

I bought a Ruger SR556 in 2009. I babied it for about a month. No mag dumps and thorough cleaning after each range session. It is a piston AR and needs a periodic cleaning of the gas regulator, put it really runs clean in the action assembly. It still shoots great with unbelievable reliability. I don't baby it anymore. I still spend a few minutes with some CLP and a couple of drops of oil after a range session.

Thank you all for the responses. I knew when I bought an AR it would mean a little more maintenance because of more moving parts. I'm looking forward to running and getting to know this machine.

Jason