Just getting started..

I've considered an AR platform rifle but won't I be putting myself at a disadvantage with longer range shots? I don't know if there are any tactical rifle competitions around the Kentucky area. I also don't know what yardages tactical competitions shoot too? Any information?

Not really. The new AR rifles are very capable of .5MOA to .75MOA to 1000yds now days. It's a matter of getting the right components and putting together a really good gun. My suggestion would be a 24" barrel flat top AR with a competition trigger and a fully floated forearm. There are a ton of different set ups you can go with.

Tank

Would I be teaching myself more about long range shooting if I were to build a AR platform .223 caliber rifle vs. going out and picking up a .308 or a hot 6.5mm caliber rifle?

Would I learn more about how atmospheric conditions effect the bullet by shooting a lighter bullet at longer ranges. I'm really wanting to learn more about the mechanics and mathematics behind shooting.

Would I be teaching myself more about long range shooting if I were to build a AR platform .223 caliber rifle vs. going out and picking up a .308 or a hot 6.5mm caliber rifle?

Would I learn more about how atmospheric conditions effect the bullet by shooting a lighter bullet at longer ranges. I'm really wanting to learn more about the mechanics and mathematics behind shooting.

To be honest, you want to pick the caliber you want to shoot and shoot it. Each caliber has it's own little quirks when it comes to learning long range. If you were to get an AR10 built in a 243 or 260 you would be ahead in the game for long range. They offer some of the best bullets w/ high BC's that work well in competition. The AR15 variants, you would do well to go with the 223 w/ a tight twist shooting 75 to 80 grain bullets, or the 6.5 Grendal. There are a ton of wildcat calibers that would fit your specific needs, but these are the few you are going to find on the shelf ammo. IF you want to stick with a classic caliber than the .308 is the way to go. Lord knows how many competitions have been won with this caliber, but it has been surpassed.

Bolt guns are no slouches when it comes to tactical competitions either. They have set the standard. I would highly suggest the 243 Ackley Improved, 6XC, or the 260 AI. All will give you out standing performance. The 6.5x47 Lapua with 123 grain bullet would also do well. Here is a good article if you haven't read it already: Getting Started In Tactical Rifle Competition

Hope this helps.

Tank

I'd like to stick to a rifle that is more affordable and see if I enjoy the sport instead of dropping a large sum of money on a custom rifle.

I would also like to choose a caliber that is easy to load and is more affordable as well. That leaves me in the realm of the 308 and 6xc I guess. Barrel life is a plus as well. :D

I'd like to stick to a rifle that is more affordable and see if I enjoy the sport instead of dropping a large sum of money on a custom rifle.

I would also like to choose a caliber that is easy to load and is more affordable as well. That leaves me in the realm of the 308 and 6xc I guess. Barrel life is a plus as well. :D
Savage Arms Firearms > 10 FCP-SR

This would be the one to start with then. Gives you a .308 with a 1:10 twist and a usable DBM (detachable box magazine). Having a 24" barrel will give you all the accuracy, velocity, and maneuverability that you need. Buy some M118LR, Federal Gold medal match 175gr, or Black Hills 175 match and have at it.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.