just getting started with yotes, need help!

beakus33

ok here it goes, i've been deer hunting for the last month and every weekend i go out i see 3-5 yotes.i've held off shooting them because i've been afraid of messing up my hunting, but i'm wondering if them being still alive is doing harm because the deer have dropped off drasticly.i dont think calling them in will be to hard i kinda know where they hang out but i dont know s@#t aboit calling, can anybody suggest a good starter call ie. fox pro or primos.

Foxpro is good to go, never had a primos.

If you're seeing 3-5 dogs in a day on a regular basis, then you are definately in a high coyote population area. Either that or you are simply in a high traffic corridor. If the population is that high, they are probably feeding on whatever they can find, which includes deer fawns.

Get out there and kill some! I would get as many as you can by shooting/sniping them first, and then go back in with the call a few days or a week later. Dont make any coyote call wise if you can avoid it, kill what you can first without calling!!

Every caller educates some coyotes, even if he never misses. We simply dont see every single coyote that comes in, and they can smell us from a long long ways off. Nobody hits every coyote he calls in, but that should be the pristine goal. Don't shoot unless you're dead sure of a good hit! It's always possible to come back another day and call that dog in with a different sound, but not nearly as possible or likely if you shot at him and missed after calling him in.

I would not be worried about messing up the deer hunt. If the dogs pack up, the deer will move out of there anyway, if they haven't started doing that already. It's getting wintery enough in most places by now that this years fawns can be smelling pretty good to the coyotes. Deeper the snow and colder it gets, the easier the fawns are to pick off.

Pull that trigger and get'ya some!

Good Luck

If you are seeing them within shooting range at your deer spot then go sit there again and shoot a couple. As far as calls go I own several mouth calls from just about every big producers, some times they work better than my fox pro wildfire some times the other way. You should be able to pick up 2-3 mouth calls for less than $50 that's how I started and it'll give you a good idea if you want to get more into predator hunting or not. I own a couple diff howlers and three or four diff distress sounds, most of mine are open reed calls they're more versatile. That being said starting with closed reed to get going and buying open reed later once your proficient with them will probably be for the best, many a yote have died responding to them. Best advice I can give is to look on several diff forums and threads and maybe buy a couple dvds to see how pros do it, if you've got a buddy that hunts go with them a time or two and get a working knowledge of call sequences and what not. Be as scent free as possible, watch the wind and try to keep the sun to your back. Most everyone here is super friendly and will answer most any questions you have, there are no stupid questions the only stupid thing is not asking. Good luck and happy hunting

Check out this site, it' s small and just starting out, but he'll send you a closed reed distress call or camo hat with mesh face cover for signing up. I picked the call, it's hand made from antler and it works. The camo is a new design, my lady decided I needed the fleece jacket for Xmas :cool:

predatorswest.com
M2D camo

I agree with the other guy saying try to just shoot some before you call. The problem with calling a large group is that you can only shoot 1 or 2 before they run and all survivors are then educated. When you call make sure you have as much visibility as possible and can get your gun up and ready without spooking them. After you call once dont keep going back day after day, wait several weeks and switch sounds and locations if possible. The best way I have found to take more coyotes out of one area is to pattern their travels and patiently ambush them, they dont seem to get as educated. Try a $20 hand call before spending hundreds on an electronic. The Verminator "tweety" is a great choice.

they can be bad for deer populations, As for call tweeters or squeekers have always been my best luck, I also just won a Knight and Hale Howler and its a great mouth call I would take a shotgun with you and a rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.