Just getting started, need some advice.

Avoidiam

So I was planning to buy my first long-range rifle, a Remington 700P in .308. It's currently around $900. Then I saw the Savage Edge, which seems to be going for around $300.

I'm wondering if the Edge is a good entry level gun. My goal would be to do long-range shooting, for fun and maybe eventually competition. I'm not really a hunter. So, would the Edge be worth it to see how far I'd like to take this new hobby, or would it be a waste of money?

Also, what kind of range can I expect from the Savage Edge? Is it capable of reaching out to 1000 yards?

Thanks in advance.

Avoidiam,

Welcome aboard! Keep us posted on what you end up doing and your progress.

My best recommendation would be to get all tho'ts of LRH out of your head. It's time consuming, mind boggling, expensive and very frustrating.:D

On the other hand... She had warts........:rolleyes: Nah! on the other hand, its one of the most satisfying obsessions I've ever dealt with.........

The Savage Edge is advertised as an entry level hunting rifle. That is, made for strolling through the brush and shooting stuff.

If the action and trigger are as up-to-snuff as the higher end Savage offerings it may be considered as a starter LRH rifle.

Much may be learned from using a less expensive rifle such as the Edge.

With a good starting action the system may then be upgraded piece at a time until you have what you really need/want for your use.

However, I would suspect the action when the entire rifle is less than $400 when a target Savage action (known good) is much more expensive.

I think the jury is still out on the Savage Edge. You would be much better off to spend another $200 and get a Savage Model 10 short action chambered in 308. It can be had with a heavy barrel and would almost be guaranteed to be a lights out shooter. Best of luck!

you don't say where you are or what you are hunting. i would lean to a sendero/remington or a laredo/winchester

I bought a stevens 200, which is a savage with a cheaper stock and more limited caliber selection. I'm very happy with it for the price. The stock was flimsy, but I was expecting that. I used fiberglass to stiffen the barrel channel, which helped a lot until I found a Boyds stock on clearance for $35. I have shot several groups under 1" at 100, and a 6" group at 622 yards. It's a good way to get started and improve your rifle with aftermarket parts as you go. I would recommend a new stock and then trigger. Then invest and learn about handloading.

I'm a huge Savage fan, but the Edge won't get it done without some mods. It will be a solid action to build off though should you choose that route. I'm sure that it will shoot straight, but it will have a light sporter barrel and nonaccu-trigger. Here are some better models to look into for an entry level rifle for long range shooting with Savage rifles. It's hard to compare the 700P with the Edge. The 700P is a law enforcement model offered by Remington. The listed below will save you $100+ in some instances and about the same in a couple of the models.

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 VLP DBM I own one and they shoot very well.

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 FVSS Great entry level rifle

Savage Arms Firearms > 12 BVSS

Savage Arms Firearms > 11 Long Range Hunter

Savage Arms Firearms > 10 Precision Carbine

Savage Arms Firearms > 10 FP

Savage Arms Firearms > 10 FCP HS Precision

All the LEO/Mil spec rifles are awesome set ups. These would be the rifle to look at for what you are looking for in a Savage. Don't let the list retail price scare you. They are high from factory and can be found for much less in sporting goods stores.

Tank

Avoidiam,
Good advise from all. I, like liltank, will speak highly of Savage's. For the money, they are the best off the shelf LR rifle out there. There accuracy is 2nd to none. I have the 112BVSS model(s), one in .300WinMag and another in 6.5-284Norma. Both have been incredible shooters from the giitgo, and still are.
By the way, I bought a 700P in 7mmRemMag about 4-5 years ago (before I bought the Savages) and it has taken a lot more work to get it to shoot as good (accurate) as it does right now. I never did get the 168gn Berger to shoot worth a **** in it. Oh well, no worries, I haven't run across anything that's immune to a 150gn Ballistic Tip from it yet.
For the price, the accuracy you get and the versatility down the road (self-barrel swap) it's impossible to beat the Savage. JohnnyK.

Awesome advice, thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the 12 FVSS in .308 at the moment.

Scope-wise I'm thinking the $300 Super-sniper. Forget what it's called now, but I've heard great things about it for the price.

Awesome advice, thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the 12 FVSS in .308 at the moment.

Scope-wise I'm thinking the $300 Super-sniper. Forget what it's called now, but I've heard great things about it for the price.

Yep, they are getting good reviews. Take a look at the Vortex Crossfire, and Viper series also. I own 2 Nikon Buckmasters. The first is a 4.5-14x40 and the 6-18x40. I use the 6-18 on my 300WSM. It allows me to see small critters at 1K better than with the 4.5-14. I think the glass is quite nice for the money.

My cousin started out with the 12FV when we first got into shooting LR when they still offered it in the .308. He since has upgraded to a custom rifle. I shot out my original factory Savage rifle barrel and he gave me his FV barrel. I have rechambered it to 300WSM and it still shoots great after feeding it more than 2000rnds as a .308 Win.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.