Just Curious....

Bran743

What do you guys do with an animal you have killed that you don't eat, such as coyotes, cougars, etc? Is it mainly just a trophy kill? I've only hunted white tails and turkeys, but have given thought to going cougar or bear hunting. I've heard of people eating bear but not really sure what I'd do with a cougar if I shot one.

-Brandon

I hear that yote hides are worth something this year. They are not very good to eat. Stringy and a bit tough. Have to cook 'em like muskrats are prep'd in Oak Harbor, OH.

Mtn Lion, the hide is the trophy. Great rugs. Rumored by old timers that they are good to eat. Cleaned skulls make great trophies.

Mt. Lion is top table fair if you can get past the idea of eating a cat, I've never had a good bear but I know guys who like it, I suspect it's in the cooking. Coyotes get skinned and depending on market the skulls will be cleaned and sold as well. Bobcat gets skinned, skulls cleaned and carcass ran through a wood chipper for next years coyote bait.

I've eaten bear many times. Last year in Alaska my son and I tried some steaks off both our bears. They were terrible. We tried a hind roast in the crock pot and it was better than any roast I've ever eaten. I usually give alot of bear meat, some of the Sitka Blacktail and fish away while we're up there.
Cougar, that's another story. I've never had a bad tasting cougar. It's great, especially the roasts. Intrestingly, it cooks up white like pork but has the texture of deer.
I use to hunt with a guy who worked for the Idaho Animal Damage Control. We tried coyote. It was terrible. Muskrat and beaver is actualy pretty good.

I've eaten Mountain Lion steaks and they were excellent!! Very mild and tender.

Also eaten several differnet black bears and I really like bear meat also! The steaks were tender and had a wonderful flavor. The roast we smoked was to die for!!

Lion has good flavor, a little tough in my experience. Black Bear very diet dependent, but hams almost always come out good. Drip pan to get grease out, then serve hot makes a difference. Once upon a time lard from black bear was considered the best for baking crust pastries and stuff. Used to work with a lady whose dad supplemented their income supplying the better hotels and restaurants. Grizzly generally considered inedible especially fish eaters.

Was told by a kid who grew up eating bear that the secret was to remove the skin around each muscle. Made a big difference.

After reading these posts my goal is going to be eat every thing I shoot, except for coyote.

Out of ordinary things I've tried include:
Jack Rabbit
Raccoon
Muskrat
gopher
Elk Tag
Deer Tag
Possom
Snake
Carp
Grass Hopper (Chocolate covered)
Earth worms
And one time a fly that bussed into and around my mouth triggering the swallow reflex. Never did taste the sucker.

Going for:
Bear
Bobcat
Cougar

Guess I'm starting a bucket list.:rolleyes:

I would have never thought about eating a cougar. Mainly just because it's a cat. Same with a coyote. But then again I've eatten horse so I guess that's not usual fair either. And I supposed with enough A1 sauce just about anything is edible.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Cheers!

-Brandon

Lion has good flavor, a little tough in my experience. Black Bear very diet dependent, but hams almost always come out good. Drip pan to get grease out, then serve hot makes a difference. Once upon a time lard from black bear was considered the best for baking crust pastries and stuff. Used to work with a lady whose dad supplemented their income supplying the better hotels and restaurants. Grizzly generally considered inedible especially fish eaters.

I hear Royinidaho use to use bear drippin's to style his massive pompador with. And before superglue, he also used it to seal primers and to protect his battery posts too. :D

This is cracking me up. People eating cats. You throw the **** thing in the sticker bushes and keep the hide. I have kept some carcasses from predators and used it for crabbing before and they seem to like it any how. This reminds me of the story of cooking the animal on a cedar board and throwing away the animal once cooked and eating the cedar board because it tastes better.

I've eaten Mountain Lion steaks and they were excellent!! Very mild and tender.

Also eaten several differnet black bears and I really like bear meat also! The steaks were tender and had a wonderful flavor. The roast we smoked was to die for!!

Never had a good tasting bear in my life. I think that chewing on a old tire would taste better!!
Beaver, linx, bobcat, cougar are very good to eat.gun)

Delete another dumb arse post I should never have posted. Geebus...I took 9 years off from the internet forums and step in deep fecal again and again.

Last edited:

Recent Posts