Just bought 4 Rem 783's for $199 each!

engineer40

So when I was a kid my dad bought a 303 British for around $79. They were so cheap back then he didn't think twice to sporterize it.

Fast forward 20 years and he never shot it anymore so I gave him $200 for it. Well, I did some research; ordered a new synthetic stock, put a decent scope on it, a very nice Limbsaver, and a muzzle brake (short barrel 303's kick good) and now I love shooting the rifle. In fact, I loved modifying it also.

I wanted to do a couple more rifles and mod them in different ways. So I started to look for old war rifles that were already sporterized that I could add my personal touches to.

I couldn't really find much locally for less than $350-$400. (Mosin's were excluded from my search). Mainly was looking for Springfield 1903's and Lee Enfield 303's.

Then I came across a deal online. They were selling brand new Remington 783's for $199! I did some quick searching and read they were completely different from the cheap model 770's and closer to the design of the Savages. Some people were even saying the receiver may be stronger than a stock Rem 700 because of the new design.

Reviews were solid and they were half the price of used war rifles I could find... Emotions took over and I bought 4 of them!

I don't plan to turn any of them into competition rifles. But I promise they will be fun to shoot when I'm done with them!

That is the only goal: Fun

Obviously the 783's don't have the aftermarket support as the 700's. But I have already found some aftermarket stock makers and a couple places that can provide match grade hand lapped barrels for them.

The only down side is they are all 30-06's. Not a huge deal because I wanted to rebarrel a couple anyways.

Now the fun begins!
-I already have an old 270; but I wouldn't mind having a thicker barrel on a 270 with a heavier stock!
-Or maybe a 280 so I can use the 7mm bullet selection?
-Although I've been wanting to get a reloading press anyways, maybe a wildcat cartridge? Thinking, would a 6.5-06 be fun?
-I live in Michigan so we don't have the traditional varmint prairie dogs to shoot at, but maybe I could change one into a 25-06 and shoot some coyotes?
-Do I need a Magnum cartridge for anything? Probably not, but it wouldn't be too hard to talk myself into one!

I'm excited. Lots of options!

What would you guys do if you had 3 or 4 brand new bolt guns to modify based on the 30-06 parent? Thanks!

Here's what I would do with them... All would be 26" Sendero/Varmint contoured barrels.

.25-06 AI 40* Shoulder
6.5 Sherman
.280 AI 40* Shoulder
.30-06 AI 40* Shoulder

Nice buy, IMO!

If it were me I'd get a Boyds pro varmint stock (at $150 with the options I'd want), a prefit 280ai and go shoot it. You can find a few that do prefits for the 783 (as it's the same as the Marlin X7). I had an X7 and the trigger really is pretty good for a factory trigger.

BTW who was selling them for $200?

Here's what I would do with them... All would be 26" Sendero/Varmint contoured barrels.

.25-06 AI 40* Shoulder
6.5 Sherman
.280 AI 40* Shoulder
.30-06 AI 40* Shoulder

I really dig the 6.5 Sherman. Very good chance one of these will become one.

I've read the AI's don't give you much umph over standard. Different cartridges vary... But do you feel it gives you enough extra to negate ability to buy factory ammo?

Thanks.

Nice buy, IMO!

If it were me I'd get a Boyds pro varmint stock (at $150 with the options I'd want), a prefit 280ai and go shoot it. You can find a few that do prefits for the 783 (as it's the same as the Marlin X7). I had an X7 and the trigger really is pretty good for a factory trigger.

BTW who was selling them for $200?

Yeah for sure! I like that Pro Varmint and the Thumbhole Varmint! You can get both ready to accept a bull barrel.

So do you think if I found a place that had X7 barrels I could use them on one of these? I hadn't heard that yet.
Although I think someone said you can use a Savage prefit barrel and just have a smith take a bit off the threads. But that may not be true either...

Are we allowed to post source stuff or links on this forum? I have no problem sharing where I got them.

Thanks!

I really dig the 6.5 Sherman. Very good chance one of these will become one.

I've read the AI's don't give you much umph over standard. Different cartridges vary... But do you feel it gives you enough extra to negate ability to buy factory ammo?

Thanks.

When comparing, you get a lot of nice features with the AI, other than just added velocity when you compare it to the standard case. One of which is the sharper shoulder angle keeps the brass from growing so rapidly, so you hardly ever have to trim the cases. I also feel the 40* shoulder angle creates a more secure fitting in the chamber than the cases with low shoulder angles and a heavy wall taper (like the .270 Win and .30-06). I personally feel the AI design is a better overall case design, than the original case designs.

Personally, I think it's worth it to AI just about any cartridge, other than a .308 Winchester. And the only reason the .308 Win doesn't need improving, is because it's already pretty much as good as it can get.

Yeah for sure! I like that Pro Varmint and the Thumbhole Varmint! You can get both ready to accept a bull barrel.

So do you think if I found a place that had X7 barrels I could use them on one of these? I hadn't heard that yet.
Although I think someone said you can use a Savage prefit barrel and just have a smith take a bit off the threads. But that may not be true either...

Are we allowed to post source stuff or links on this forum? I have no problem sharing where I got them.

Thanks!

Remington stole most of the stuff from the X7, the triggers are the same with a different name for example. (they're both owned by freedom group).

You've got to take about .010 off the barrel face of a savage barrel to put it on an X7 or 783 IIRC. Call Jim at NSS and he'll do it for you with one of his prefits. Or there are others.

Also, it isn't hard to put these barrels on yourself. The Savage barrel nut wrench fits their barrel nut.

"fun " shooting at jackrabbits? elk?

Well I have 3 or 4 to modify, so lets assume jackrabbits and elk and paper. :)

Even though I got 4 of them, most likely I will take one of them around to pawn shops and gun shows to see what kind of trade I can find. If I can't find anything worth while to trade, I'll probably give the 4th to my oldest son for Christmas this year.

Thanks.

Congratulations on a nice buy!

If I wasn't so heavily into Weatherby's the 783 would have been a route I would have gone.

I wasn't aware of the Marlin X7. So close in design. Same parent corporation.

As for what to do....

Don't spend all your "profit" on gas and gun show fees. IMO it would be better as a gift.

For the keepers:
Many barrel makers now do prefit 783. I am partial to Pac-Nor but the wait is long. NSS, of course. These should be Criterion barrels.
Stocks, same sort of. Boyds have many varieties and I am nothing but happy about them.
Trigger, haven't found much. Maybe the "crossfire" is tunable enough.

Calibers, you would probably enjoy a 25, 6.5 and a 30 or 7mm.

Chamberings: If It Were Me (IIWM)
You have a 270 so that's covered.
25-06 optionally with an improved shoulder 35° or 40° (AI)
6.5 Sherman
280 optionally with an improved shoulder 35° or 40° (AI)
and of course you could keep one more and go 30-06 with a stock, bedding and floating and some tuning.

Many barrel makers now do prefit 783. I am partial to Pac-Nor but the wait is long. NSS, of course. These should be Criterion barrels.
Stocks, same sort of. Boyds have many varieties and I am nothing but happy about them.

Calibers, you would probably enjoy a 25, 6.5 and a 30 or 7mm.

Chamberings: If It Were Me (IIWM)
You have a 270 so that's covered.
25-06 optionally with an improved shoulder 35° or 40° (AI)
6.5 Sherman
280 optionally with an improved shoulder 35° or 40° (AI)
and of course you could keep one more and go 30-06 with a stock, bedding and floating and some tuning.

Hey Thanks! I don't know much about the Criterion barrels but I'm definitely going to do some reading up on them. Any knowledge about them yourself?

Great to hear you've had good experience with Boyds stocks. I almost bought one about a year ago and went a different direction. I'm sure it depends on the style, but in your opinion do you feel the forearm part of the stocks are strong enough to support the rifle if I use a bipod and still keep the barrel free floated? If not I've been researching some ways to inlet graphite arrows or other strong metals into the forearms for extra rigidity.

Right now I'm definitely leaning towards keeping one a 30-06 and just tuning and dura coating. Also thinking this will be a good chance to try to thread a barrel myself. If I screw it up, I'll have 3 extra barrels to reuse from the other rifles.

And the more I read about the 6.5 Sherman the more I like it!

I wish the 25 caliber family had bullets with higher BC's because that would probably seal the deal with one becoming a 25-06. I'm intrigued by the 25-06 because everyone I know that has had one, loved it. It seems this caliber has an almost cult like following.

PTG is also making bolts and bolt heads for them. From .223 up to Lapua.

The currently have short action bottom metal and a long action bottom metal coming soon.

Rem 783 : Pacific Tool and Gauge, The largest Global manufacturer of custom chamber reamers for the firearms industry

Great find! I hadn't seen that yet! That teardrop 1 piece bolt is way better than the stock Remington bolt. A lot of reviews state the 783 is not a good looking rifle. I don't mind the looks at all, except for that bolt handle. That stock bolt handle is the most flaccid looking piece of metal I've ever seen.

Thanks! I'm book marking that link.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.