Just bought 4 Rem 783's for $199 each!

I second the pics request.

and

I used a specialized tap and die to clean up the threads on an action and barrel. Holds a 277/26-Nosler together just fine.

I can do threading on the lathe but clean it up by chasing with a tap or die. Really helps me out. I also learn where I am coming up short, literally, on the threading. Fear of cutting to deep. Let the tap or die finish it. Getting better each time though.

I second the pics request.

and

I used a specialized tap and die to clean up the threads on an action and barrel. Holds a 277/26-Nosler together just fine.

I can do threading on the lathe but clean it up by chasing with a tap or die. Really helps me out. I also learn where I am coming up short, literally, on the threading. Fear of cutting to deep. Let the tap or die finish it. Getting better each time though.

If I had access to someone with a lathe, I definitely would have went that route. I don't believe the method I used to be superior to tried and true methods that gunsmiths use. I mainly posted it to say, Yes it can be done. And done in a way that doesn't negatively affect accuracy.

What are you guys interested in seeing pictures of? Just the muzzle brake on the rifle? Or pics of the actual threads and the cutting job?

I just received the new stock for the gun. I'll be doing some very minor inletting and will be painting the rifle soon. When I do that I can take the brake back off and take pics of the thread job if that is what you wanted to see.

If I had access to someone with a lathe, I definitely would have went that route. I don't believe the method I used to be superior to tried and true methods that gunsmiths use. I mainly posted it to say, Yes it can be done. And done in a way that doesn't negatively affect accuracy.

What are you guys interested in seeing pictures of? Just the muzzle brake on the rifle? Or pics of the actual threads and the cutting job?

I just received the new stock for the gun. I'll be doing some very minor inletting and will be painting the rifle soon. When I do that I can take the brake back off and take pics of the thread job if that is what you wanted to see.
Yes please: pics of the threading job. Pics of the rifle before and after..

Wait till you get the barrels off. Let us know how many of the 4 rifles you got that have sections of missing threads from the barrel. I've seen pictures of 783 take off barrels that had have threads, then none, then more threads, then none. Mine is missing about 3 rows of threads smack in the middle of the threaded section. I reckon it utilitarian. Maybe wrap some fishing line around inside that big gap in case you get lost and need to survive in the back 40. I don't mean to be overcritical but aren't threads that connect two hunks of metal a fairly basic manufacturing process? Wait for it... you can't expect to mass produce a rifle with continuous threads on the barrel tenon.

This doesn't mean it wont shoot. It just means that, if Remington can hide it, they will. Don't take to me about Chinese manufacturing.

Tomato stakes.

We'll see. How long did Savage/Stevens take it on chin before they were appreciated? I was around when you couldn't hardly find a factory rifle that had a trigger that didn't need immediate fixing or would shoot under 2-1/2". Gun writers hated Savages but fortunately, Shooters started spending their money on guns that worked. No doubt everything about the 783 is cheap but it'll still take game reliably (if you don't count my magazine not feeding properly), which is something. Heck, I've supplied camp meat taken with a rock delivered by my arm so an inexpensive rifle just might find a place to be useful. Decently adjustable trigger, pillar bedding and a fair recoil pad seem like a step in the right direction for a $200 gun. The barrel nut accommodates some DYI projects which can be fun. There's some fair aftermarket support from PTG, Boyd's, Criterion, Pacnor and Northland Shooters Supply. Despite Remington's dismal QC reputation, I'm still looking forward to seeing some 783 projects.

I thought these 783's were made in Kentucky? I guess maybe that's just what Remington's PR people want us to believe?

Just saying that there's some "made in America" gun makers that aspire to to reach Chinese manufacturing quality, which isn't saying much.

Mike 338 and Reloader28,

Have you considered that you may be causing anxiety to the OP without providing any proof that there are quality problems with the 783.

Could you please point us to documentation citing quality problems with the 783.

Reloader28 has had an account for 9 years and only has 20 posts. Of those 1/10th of them are talking crap about a rifle he doesn't own or probably has ever shot. Nothing he says can phase me.

I appreciate you having my back though. :)

I believe Mike 338 has a Remington 783 in 308.

I'm 100% delighted in my 783's so far. There is room in my safe for cheap guns, expensive guns, SHTF guns, investment guns, and guns that really have no purpose but are just fun to shoot. I try to keep my ego out of my way of having a good time.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts