Just a simple question.

Dakota79

If a person has a variety of calibers from .17 HMR up to 270win can one suppressor do the job or do they need a couple of different ones? It will probably end up being a Lane. Any suggestions?

You could get away with one suppressor for all, just get the can in the largest bore diameter you plan to shoot.

Many shooters do this to cut down on the total number of suppressors that they have from a cost and interoperability standpoint.

I happen to have multiple cans, but prefer to use my 30 cal cans for multiple smaller bores - like 6mm & 6.5mm. I own several 30 cals, and no caliber specific cans for the 6 or 6.5.

It should be worth noting that the larger diameter suppressors MAY not be as efficient/quiet when used on an undersized projectile, but having said that, Thunderbeast Arms claims that they love using their 30 cals on 223 and that there is no advantage (for them at least) to worry about having a .22 can. In fact, and I'd need to verify, but I could swear that they are discontinuing their .223 cans for this reason.

Naturally, they are still producing their 22LR specific cans, but getting away from .223 specific suppressors.

That's what I did, and I've been very happy with the performance of my Varminter 4.0 (now called the Banish 30) from Silencer Central. I wanted to support a local company since there are quite a few here in SD and final choice for me came down to the Varminter/Banish (made by Mack Brothers in Sturgis) and the Lane Scorpion Magnum (made by Lane here in Rapid City). Both are awesome suppressors but I liked the modularity of the Varminter so ended up going with that. It has performed awesome on everything from .22LR subsonics to .300WM and everything inbetween. I had thought that my next can would be a dedicated .22 caliber, but I'm leaning toward getting a Banish 45 to use on my PCCs and pistols instead. I have a couple friends with Lane suppressors and they are extremely happy as well.

I would agree that one can can cover multiple calibers, with the caveat of them all being centerfire. I have three small bore cans, one is exclusively used on a 17HMR, the other two are .22 only, and I wouldn't want to try cleaning what comes out of them out of a sealed can. The main reason rimfire cans exist is serviceability, the secondary reason is rimfires don't need a lot of volume to suppress the round so they tend to be a lot smaller.

Cost is $550 including the stamp for a SiCo Sparrow 22, that's less than a half-decent rifle scope. And it's half the size and weight of a 30 cal can. There's just no need for a sealed, 30 cal capable can on a rimfire. It's like buying a Peterbilt to tow a popup camper, the downsides outweigh the benefits because it's too massively overkill for the job. I squirrel hunt with rimfires, I don't want or need a 12oz can hanging off the end of the barrel, it would really screw up the balance of a rimfire rifle. I would shoot unsuppressed before using a centerfire caliber can on a rimfire rifle, and I'm a whore for suppressors.

Quick edit - I use a TBAC 338 Ultra on one specific 300 Blackout. I'm no stranger to massive overkill, and still wouldn't put a 30 cal can on a rimfire.

Last edited:
Oh and yes, TBAC is not producing their new Ultra Gen2s in a .223 specific caliber because the 6.5mm model performs as good as one with a .223-specific end cap. They make a dedicated 5.56mm SBR suppressor that is user-serviceable, but that's designed for 10" AR-platform SBR use, not precision like the Ultras.

What happened to the 223 ULTRA 7?
With the ULTRA Gen2 updates, a prototype "223 ULTRA 7 Gen2" meters the exact same on 223/556 as the 6.5 ULTRA 7 Gen2, which is still quieter than an original 223 ULTRA 7, so the original 223 ULTRA 7 is replaced with the 6.5 ULTRA 7 Gen2.

Last edited:
I agree with you on cans for rimfire use...that's another reason I went with a user serviceable can as my "everything" suppressor. It gets gross pretty quick when shooting rimfire through it. In a perfect world, I'd have a pile of cans as well, but unfortunately that's not an option at the moment so a versatile can is what works for me.

The Scorpion King in Titanium is the model I was considering when I bought my Varminter. Lightweight, versatile, and user serviceable were my three primary goals. I think it would be a fine choice.

Thinking about the exact thing, and also looking at Lane for a 6.5 PRC and also use on a 300 PRC. Let us know what you go with and your review.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.