Just a long range wanna be hello from texas

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Mkstrip, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Mkstrip

Mkstrip Member

Hello folks,
    I am new to the forum I am a LEO in Texas. I have been hunting and shooting from a young age. I have been involved in uspsa and 3gun competitions for a few years now. I recently purchased a Howa hcr 6.5 Creedmoor American flag edition. My new goal is to learn to shoot a 1000 yards. All advice will be appreciated. The gun came with a nikko stirling 4x16x50 that is hardly adequate for the gun. I have been looking into athlon optics(any experience or first hand knowledge on these would be great to know). Also other than a wind meter, shooting mat, range finder, and the strelok pro app, any other gear that will be essential to get started. I will use factory match grade ammo for now.( Brand preferences and why would be helpful) Understand my family needs come before my hobbies. I consider myself a budget minded shooter so gear that cost thousands of dollars does me no good to learn about. Please leave your arrogant condescending remarks off my threads. Seems to be a problem in other forums I have tried and left. We were all new shooters once. One day I will repay my experience to another new shooter looking for advice.

2. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Gus here are not going to give you any problems. No worries there. I think your list will do for now. You will find things as the need arises. Fill them then. I would look at reloading sooner than later.

Thanks for your service and welcome!

Steve

3. Mkstrip

Mkstrip Member

Thanks for the reply any advice on optics or links to threads on here with good info

4. werth338

werth338 Well-Known Member

Welcome.

Where do you live in TX? I haven’t used Athlon but a friend of mine speaks highly of it and might be able to help you on that. I don’t shot a 6.5 Creed but Hornady match might be a good one to try.

5. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Check the optics section. Loss of info there. Will really come down to your budget.

Steve

6. Mkstrip

Mkstrip Member

Near lubbock

7. werth338

werth338 Well-Known Member

Got it. Never been in Lubbock.

8. Mkstrip

Mkstrip Member

That would be great to get more info on the athlon thanks

9. DustySpotter

DustySpotter New Member

[​IMG] hope this helps you find your next athlon

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Mkstrip likes this.
  10. zr600

zr600 Well-Known Member

What’s your price range on optics? That will help narrow done some options. For range finder I would seriously consider the Leica 2400r. It’s a Leica and you can find them under 500. Maybe just get a range finder shooting mat and some hornady 140 ammo and go shooting see how it does for now. For now you could use a free ballistic app try the vortex one, could also skip the kestrel for the time being and learn to read wind flags. I had my creedmoor our to 1100 yards with just windflags factory hornady 140eldm and a vortex viper pst geni. The gongs were already setup by my buddy so we knew the distance. He uses either a g7 range finder or his 1600 Leica. For a range finder I would t get anything but the Leica. I have bought 3 rangefinders in 4 years. I bought a leupold 1000tbr was hard to range anything further then 300 yards or so, then picked up a sig kilo2000 and it works ok will generally pick most things up out to 500-700 yards. When out shooting the gongs at my buddies it wouldn’t pick up a 8” plate at 600 yards so it needs a big reflective target to get to its ratings. I’ll write up a review in the optics forum on the Leica 2400 vs the sig 2000.

11. Mkstrip

Mkstrip Member

Somewhere around a $1000 bucks is where I would like to be for a scope

12. zr600

zr600 Well-Known Member

Ok check out the Burris xtrii I think it would be better then an athlon they have good glass nice turrets and a zero stop ffp. They are onsale at sportoptics.com and ask them about there best price last I looked a 5-25 was under 1000.

Mkstrip likes this.
  13. Mkstrip

Mkstrip Member

Thanks

14. stx

stx Well-Known Member

I second the Hornady ELD Match ammo!

Mkstrip likes this.