Just a little rust?

kc

How can I remove a small amount of rust without removing the Bluing.
and did all the Remington BDLs come with engravings in the actions
and floor plates?
Mine has them.

How much is a "little" ? a brass cleaning brush with some KROIL will remove light rust, and not damage the finish.

Very light..I used some rem-oil and a tough scrubing and I got some brown on the rag, I just don"t like having any of my firearms looking un kept.
Scratches etc..

Brownell'e sells what is called soft stainless steel pad that does wonders and will not remove the bluing unless you get crazy with it. It does leave a white spot where the rust was though. A little bit of oil on the pad helps a bunch.
There is a kitchen scrubbing pad that will also work but I don't remember the name of it right now. Its also a soft stainless steel pad.
I stay away from 0000 steel wool as it does remove bluing.

Not to get into a ****ing match, but how would a stainless steel pad be any different than 0000 steel wool?

0000 steel wool is so fine that you could barely polish your finget nail with it. Not saying that I polish my fingers nails.............

No problem. The difference is the hardness of the metal in the pad. I have found 0000 to be harder than the soft stainless steel pad and can leave small scratches whereas the soft stainless steel that Brownell's sells has larger strands that are flat and quite soft. The wide strands seem to be able to scrape the rust off with no problem but never touch the bluing on any of the guns I have used it on. Pretty amazing stuff really. I have used it on some very expensive guns and I don't worry at all but I have also see some guns that people have tried to do the 0000 steel wool on and I can see it every time.
Just an observation and a learned curve is all.

I took some rust off a Nagant with Strike Hold-just wiped it off.

If the rust is a little worse I use the fine steel wool with bluing on it to blend the area so it doesn't get light. This also works good for wear areas like under the barrel on truck guns.

Get yourself some CLP/Break Free. Apply it liberally to the rusted portions of your firearm. Wait 24 hours or so and wipe the firearm clean. If rust is still showing, reapply the CLP and continue to repeat the process until the rust is gone.

This is a very gentle and very gradual process. If you do things this way, you will not damage your finish.

I'd use Flitz, it works great. Be carfull with it because if you rub on it to long it can dull blueing, but it will remove the rust.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.