Junk Yard .308 build

Topshot

I seem to have collected a few bits and peices over the last few weeks.

I started off by picking up a H-S stock, it is in new condition that is inletted for a long action Rem 700 and the barrel channel was opened a heavy barrel.

Then a mate gave me a new trigger that was excess to his needs. And now I have obtained a near new match grade Hart, Heavy stainless barrel. Chambered in .308 calibre. It is 1.25" parallel x 24" long, and Fluted. Threaded for Rem 700 etc. 1 - 12" twist. Neck Diameter is .338".

I have a worked Remington Long action that is in need of a new barrel and was thinking of putting all this together to make a long action .308.

Is this a good idea? Anyone ever used a .308 built on a long action Rem 700?

I built a 338 Federal on a long action Savage.
It started out a 25-06.
No changes to the magazine or follower.
It feeds smooth and positive.

That's as close as I can get.

dk

That's what I was thinking. The M24 sniper rifle was .308 built on a long action Rem 700 was it not?

Correct. The M24 was designed to use the "long-action" version of the Remington 700. Good idea to load ammo all the way back against the internal magazine.

Can you suggest a couple of loads for the calibre?

Also to headspace it can I get custom thickness recoil lugs?

I built a .22-250 on a 721 rem. long action 30-06, but I would like to find a short action adl mag and follower so I con put a spacer in and load like a SA. Anyone have an extra to sell ?

The M24 with long action was originally chosen because the designers originally wished to use the more powerful but militarily obsolete 30-06 round which at that time were still in procurement channels.

I have a 28" 6mm Rem built on a Rem 700 Long Action which is a decent 1000+ yard target rifle. All the parts were bought on ebay (before they banned most gun parts). The action was off a beat up pawn shop 700 sporter. If you want to shoot VLD bullets from just about any of the "short action" cartridges, using a long or at least mid (30-06) length action is reasonable, and necessary to feed though a magazine. . It removes most of the constraints on seating depth. Brass over 2" long is very cramped in a 2.8" magazine with VLDs. Certainly if I was building a rifle with any of the SAUM or WSM cartridges I'd use long action.

In my opinion the Rem 700 long action is too short to work well with the long magnums like the Rem Ultras. 2.8" brass is cramped with VLDs in a 3.6" or even 3.8" actions.

You can call that a "junk yard" build if you want, but I'd expect it to work well. That's hardly a junk barrel. Where you get parts isn't the issue. It's how well they the match the cartridge and how well they're assembled.

Seeing how you have a huge mag well you should use it to it's full extent. Load heavy bullets seated out far ad try powders like W760, RL17, VV-N540, VV-N550 etc. I'm pushing a 208gr A-max with RL17 and getting some awsome velocities.

You can call that a "junk yard" build if you want, but I'd expect it to work well. That's hardly a junk barrel. Where you get parts isn't the issue. It's how well they the match the cartridge and how well they're assembled.

Well said.

Seeing how you have a huge mag well you should use it to it's full extent. Load heavy bullets seated out far ad try powders like W760, RL17, VV-N540, VV-N550 etc. I'm pushing a 208gr A-max with RL17 and getting some awsome velocities.

I was thinking that the .308 case would be better suited to bullets up to 180 grains. I had not considered the 208 grain bullet. What sort of performance would you expect out of this 24 inch barrel with the 208 grain bullet?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.