Jumping Berger bullets

jcann

I think I already know the answer to this question but I wanted to get other opinions. I've got an old, meaning shot a lot Ruger M77 in 7RM I purchased new in 1979. It still shoots 1 to 1.5 moa and on occasions it will deliver sub moa groups.

I bought a box of 7mm 180gr Berger hunting VLD's to use in a build GA Percision is doing for me now and thought I might give them a try in my old Ruger. Last night I took measurements for bullet seating depth (touching lands) and this is what I came out with.

Base of case to ogive is 2.79", this gets me to the lands.
Overall cartridge case length is 3.50"
Magazine box is 3.38"

From what I've read Berger VLD's have a very narrow "sweet spot" on seating depth. As you can see I can't get close to the lands if I want to use this rifle and these bullets as a repeater. So here's my question; am I wasting my time trying to jump 0.12" and achieve any type of accuracy with these bullets? I'm not even sure I could chamber reliably a loaded round that is 3.35 to 3.38 inches long.

What be your thoughts?

There is an article by Berger's Eric Stecker on the LRH home page discussing vld bullet seating depth. He found that MUCH longer jumps can result in great accuracy.

just load 'em to max mag length and try 'em. that works for me, don't see much diff in my rifles between .05 off to "WAAAAAAY" off. Should mention, "in my rifles that LIKE 'em", not all do.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.