JUDD's new MCR 7mm Dakota

Shot the 2 day shoot at Ridgway last weekend. Came in 3rd place with this gun on Saturday. Sunday I dropped down a couple places due to my issues reading the wind. The rifle shot flawlessly all weekend.

One thing we noticed with this is the gun likes to be shot as clean as possible. It comes out of the cleaning shooting lights out. Anything over 20 rounds and accuracy starts to fall off. First ten rounds after cleaning are dead nuts on. Also I need to purchase a body bump die or take .010 off the bottom of my die to bump the shoulders back. I'm not to impressed with Dakota brass for the cost. Even new brass chambers inconsistantly. Bumping the shoulders back .002 will help this issue.

The BAT action is beautiful. BUT it not like a R700 or stiller you better keep it clean! Tolerances are so tight there is no room for any foreign substances. Cleaning the rails and lugs are not an option it's a necessity with a BAT. Do this and you won't find anything smoother then a BAT.

We also found some new cleaning solution that we are both a big fan of. it's called 10x. Just patches ran thru soaked with 10X and thats it. Barrel cleans up with 10 or less patches soaked and then some dry patches. I havn't ran a brush in the barrel since I started using it. Needless to say I'm a big 10x supporter.

I now have just shy of 300 rounds thru this gun. I'm very happy with the performance thus far with this build. It shoots great out to 1k and the fact it takes me 18 1/2 min to get to 1k is a plus :D. I've only shot the 180 vld's so far but I have a box of 190 matrix to try out next. With some quick numbers into exbal it show my drops are identical out to 1k. It's does show that with a 10mph wind at 3 o'clock I have 3 1/2 " less wind drift at 1k. That 3" would have meant allot more hits at ridgway last weekend.

I want to purchase a bullet pointing die and try with the Matrix bullets. The have a very large meplat and pointing them should show allot of promise. It's gonna be awhile until I get time to do more testing but I'll post the results after I test out my theories.

The muzzle break worked to perfection. 50 shots out of this gun and when I was done I never even knew I shot a rifle. On a side note though this gun is loud...like make your heart stop loud for some reason.

Judd, The reason you experiencing loader than normal report with the Muscle Brake is because it is turned down to barrel diameter. I understand some customers prefer the slim look and thus request the muscle brake installed this way.

These brakes were carfully designed so port length was established relative to the openings width. When the brakes are turned down it dramatically effects the results. Keeping the brake full sized would prevent the excessive blast and sound to the shooter.

I have shot the same brake as yours (at original size, not turned down) on a 7 Dakota with-out plugs by mistake, and the sound level was not as severe as your describing, and with plugs was no different sounding than a non-braked rifle.

I apoligize for my wording of that..The break was turned down to match the barrel dia. and I do not question that is the cause of the loudness.

I have shot this break style on other rifles that are not turned down and it is not as loud like you said above.

I will say this about the Muscle breaks or CSR breaks. I will never have any other make break put on my rifles. Jim's breaks are awesome in performace. I shoot my Dakota and Kevins Cheytac free recoil with no issues ever. Shooting this style at these matches I can most of the time get back on to see my hits at 800 yards. If I was full shoulder into the rifle no doubt I could spot hits even closer than that.

I've seen many other breaks come in when bought and the finish is terrible...not so with Jim's breaks.

I had a VAIS break on my other rifle. The performance of the VAIS wasn't even close to the Muscle Break.

Judd it's quite alright, I get lots of questions every week about the muscle brake and I just didn't want that post to generate more.

I am so very pleased that You and Kevin are so pleased and excited about the muscle brake, I tell sceptical guys every week, if you shoot this brake just once it will change your whole additude about muzzle brakes.

Now I just wish I had come up with the brake design first. The Muscle Brake is the best brake design that's come through my shop as of today, although we're not making many friends to the left and right of our shooting bench. :D I'm also extremely happy with the finish of the brake when I receive it. I've tried other brakes over the years and just because it needs a gunsmith for installation doesn't mean it has to be covered in burrs and rough machine marks all over it. It takes alot of time to clean up a rough brake and make it look good. With the Muscle Brake it's clean right from the get go. I really appreciate that part, it makes my installation jobs go faster and cleaner.

another fine looking russo stock and a awesome kevin build. It was between that color or olive and blk. For my next build. I choose the olive and blk. Great minds think alike.lightbulb for sure the next one.
Nice looking rifle. Fully polished. The only way to go!!!

what a beauty. I bet it shoots as good as it looks. I'm sure it has already found a home in the "x" ring..... Lots of good shooting to you.

Sincerely,
bob cauterucio

Funding another build and some optics....This beauty is going up for sale soon.

Got my eyes on some new swaro spotters and gotta build another new LR Deer/Bear rifle.

PM for details before I put it in the for sale section if interested.....

The BAT action is beautiful. BUT it not like a R700 or stiller you better keep it clean! Tolerances are so tight there is no room for any foreign substances. Cleaning the rails and lugs are not an option it's a necessity with a BAT. Do this and you won't find anything smoother then a BAT.

I have a bat VR with the picitinny rail. its not been my experience that you have to overly keep it clean. just got back from a 3 day hunt and the action, scope and gun has a fine coating of dust all over it. the bolt works just fine. infact I am purposely letting the gun get even more dirty to see how much its going to take. its already dirtier than I typically let my other guns get. I do take some tetra gun grease and put a small amount on a cleaning patch fold the patch and run the grease all over the patch then I wipe the bolt with it. its an ever so slight amount of grease on the bolt. I do that when I clean the gun. the spiral fluting does IMO an excellent job of keeping the gun functional even in little dusty situation. I have heard several people say the BAT remmy clones are too tight, unless you want to drop the gun in a mud puddle, you will be fine. mine is a bank vault and the built in pic rail really makes it a tank of an action. changing out optics is a snap. I just wish I had built my other custom on one.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.